[Oe List ...] Tribute to Wayne Nelson

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Tue Jan 28 09:50:26 PST 2014

The tributes to Wayne that have come in catalogue
many of his multiple and admirable qualities.  He
was a gifted facilitator, an extraordinary
community developer, an artistic woodworker, a
consummate story-teller, a skilled outdoorsman,
and a talented IT guru. That barely scratches the
surface, but it’s difficult at the completion of
a life to formulate an appropriate tribute to one of such diverse abilities.

There’s one, however, that needs additional
mention: Wayne was also a philosopher of
considerable prowess. The question which he
pursued with passion and intensity was: What are
the philosophical roots of the ToP® (Technology
of Participation) methods? And he didn't mean
Bultmann, Niebuhr, Tillich, and Bonhoeffer. He
meant their ancestors. He meant Heidegger and
Husserl, Kierkegaard and Sartre, Bergson, and
Hume and many others. And he was working to
document how their insights influenced and shaped
what became our methods and how these foundations
might guide us in the future.

The aim of his research was to prevent the ToP
methods from becoming perfunctory or shallow and
reflecting only superficial pop-psychology. As he
said, “That's not us, and I believe our approach
is significantly unique and valuable enough to
carry it firmly into this century.  This
ontological, participatory approach to group work
is totally necessary if the world is to move forward.” (2 May 2011)

Wayne has written a 35-page paper entitled “ToP
Foundations: Facilitating the Consciousness of
Consciousness of Consciousness.” That title
clearly indicates Wayne’s passion for getting to
the substance of what we’re all about. As he put
it, “Where have these ideas come from? What do we
have now? Where can they take us?”

Those pages are the Introduction and first
chapter of a book that now he will not complete.
It would be a fitting tribute to this great
colleague to have them published for the ToP Network.

We will greatly miss this man of passion and depth.

--Ann and John Epps