[Oe List ...] Salmon: Rapid City

William Salmon wsalmon at cox.net
Mon Feb 10 18:47:02 PST 2014

    I have a couple of stories to share about creating the "North Rapid" project. First, a personal one, and later I'll send a longer one about the symbolic event initiating the project on a cold January night; but I digress.
    In seminary, I was invited to go deer hunting in southwestern Colorado. I bagged two deer, carried them back to Dallas, took the meat to the butcher and sent the hides to be tanned thinking that--some day--I'd have them made into a jacket for Beverly.
    In the meantime, the Order intervened, and we carried them from pillar to post. One day in Rapid City, Beverly suggested that I take these skins to the North Rapid Indian Center.
    The gift was so happily received that there was not enough they could do for me or the Religious House. It was an auspicious moment to connect with the female power structure.
    Shortly afterward, each House was instructed to bring to Order Cewnter ethnic food representing each culture. I can remember a gluttonous feast. Our contribution was 4 gallons of wojapi (buffalo berry sauce--still warm when I arrived in Chicago), and a huge box of Indian fried bread--also still warm. In these days, the airlines were more cooperative with us.
    The Religious House was proud to be the start of this project. Just before Beverly and I were assigned to Anchorage, Alaska, we held a Town Meeting. One of the community projects was to repaint a railroad overpass, "The Entry To North Rapid." We were a proud crowd.
    Inner Peace,
    Bill
PS: Beverly and I took a sojourn on to the Rose Bud reservation near Sioux City to visit a Anglican colleague and his wife a former nun. Their names escape me for which I apologize. It must be age related.
    BS