[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] ICA GreenRise Building

Ellie Stock via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Aug 3 12:13:41 PDT 2014

While we are celebrating GreenRise and the many ways it is becoming ecologically sustainable,
I would be interested to know what folks on the list serves are doing related to the environment and ecology.

Post-"retirement", the environment is our main focus, now working in four areas.

1)  Ferguson Eco Team (started 2 1/2 years ago with the first series of winter/spring monthly, free, community environmental film/discussion evenings, including showing "Journey of the Universe" and hosting an "Awakening the Dreamer" Symposium.  From that evolved the Ferguson Eco Team which seeks to create a more environmentally sustainable, spiritually fulfilling, socially just human presence in the Ferguson area and on planet Earth through education, networking, and advocacy.  We are connected and network with our local organic farmers' training farm (Earthdance) and volunteer there once a month, are working to set up in our area a Green Dining Alliance with restaurants, and have an info table once a month at our local Farmer's Market.

We are also networking with other groups concerning local/regional environmental issues related to coal plants, adjacent landfills--one of which has an underground fire which is moving toward another landfill with nuclear waste, a creek--also contaminated by nuclear waste.

2)Through the Presbyterian Church (USA):  at the local congregation level:  Using the Presbyterians for Earth Care guide (free/downloadable) to become a certified Earth Care Congregation (second year).  The guide helps congregations "go green" via worship, education, building/food, and outreach/advocacy.  At the church we now attend. we set up an ad hoc team composed of anyone interested.  Eventually we hope the ecological vision will be a lens through which the church views/plans/implements all his ministry and mission.

3) Also through the PC(USA):  Setting up and coordinating an Earth Care Team that goes out to congregations in the presbytery to introduce them to the Earth Care Congregations guide and facilitate the process as needed.  Churches do not have to work toward certification to use the guide, but it helps keep the group focused.

Other groups working with faith communities are Interfaith Power and Light and Green Faith.  Green Faith has a cooperative program with the PC(USA) that offer dual certification.

4) Continued work with presbytery's Joining Hands Peru Partnership, addressing issues of lead and heavy metal contamination in the Andes city of La Oroya and the Montaro River Valley, as well as related places in Missouri, U.S, and world.  We are also partnering with other groups, NGOS related to Free Trade Agreements as they affect the environment.

Please share what you are doing re the environment/ecology and any resources that might be helpful.

Thanks.

Ellie Stock
elliestock at aol.com