[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Aug 24-25

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Aug 28 21:13:47 PDT 2014

*SUN AUG 24  **In Davenport, IA*

Izzy and I joined Druckenmillers and went to their Episcopal Church service
in the park in one of the amphitheaters. We were introduced to the
congregation as the Marchers. After the service a potluck lunch was served.
One woman gave me a $50 check for the March. Then we went to LeClaire Park
to meet up with the Marchers who were marching in from Walcott. There was
lunch provided and a birthday party/cake for Liz and Tilly, a 3 year old
(the youngest Marcher—Gavain & Dana’s daughter).

The Rally started in the park at 1:30pm. Among the many who spoke were the
Davenport’s Mayor Gluba and the Rev. Michael Dowd. After the Rally the
Marchers went out on the street and marched for 15 minutes and then ‘called
it a day’.  Doug brought us back to their house.  That afternoon most
everyone took a nap. I did some journaling. Doug decided we should have
pizza for dinner and ordered a freshly made pizza that he brought home and
put in the oven out on the back porch. Most of the time we were having
conversation about significant issues. Doug shared information about his
courses that are conducted on-line. He even gave us contact information and
suggested that we create an on-line course for Climate Change and keep it
going as we March. As the evening progressed all the men had several beers.
Then we had to go to bed.

*MON AUG 25*

It was truly a Rest-Day. The March had a number of speaking engagements
throughout the metropolitan area during the day primarily in schools. Izzy
and I chose not to volunteer for a speaking engagement. So we caught up
with things we had been postponing. Luke had received the recording we had
made at Scattergood School and forwarded it to the Climate Justice Gypsy
Band members. Doug downloaded the recordings and has them on his computer.
Izzy and I invited the Druckenmillers to go out to their favorite
restaurant. They chose the Duck City Delicatessen & Bistro.  It has been a
favorite of professional golfers who come to Davenport for golf
tournaments. The meal was delicious and up-scale. Then Doug took us on a
Quad Cities tour that went  into Illinois. When we returned he stopped at
the ice cream shop so we could have dessert. When we got home it was
bedtime. Izzy and I were to get back to the park at 6:30am, to load up and
March across the Mississippi River for a welcome at the Botanical Gardens
at 8am.
--
Peace, David