[Oe List ...] FW: VOTE TODAY - JewEllsworth Trail funding

Margaret Aiseayew via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Aug 26 07:59:49 PDT 2014

Dearest Friends,

As some of you know, I currently serve as the pastor of the Ellsworth United
Methodist Church.  We are struggling with many new initiatives to try and
bring vitality back to our community.  We have formed a new community
organization EAGLES (Ellsworth Association Giving Life, Energy and Service).
We have managed to paint the light poles on main street and get some flower
baskets on them.  It doesn't seem like much when all the sidewalks need
repair and the water system needs millions of dollars of input to stop the
basement flooding all over town and this list could go one and on.
Ellsworth is surrounded by rich farming land and the town itself is so poor
that less than half of the residents have internet access.  This is why I am
sending this on to all of you.

A little three mile trail between Ellsworth and Jewell (the nearest town
with a grocery story) has made it into this competition for a grant of
$7,500 to pave the old railroad track into a bike trail.  People walk it all
the time and it is not particularly safe.  It is a vote based competition
and with a town so small and projects competing with us that have major
organizations and huge communities behind them (also other ways to get the
money they need) we have probably very small hope so I am sending this to
everyone I know.  This is what I wrote to others on my lists:

This is a unique opportunity for Jewell and Ellsworth to raise money for the
bike trail.  We need this kind of sign that the world cares about our
communities.  It would also be a boon to even the family that makes ice
cream and sells it along the way.  I am asking all of you to forward this to
anyone you might be able to convince to vote for us each day until September
seventh.  We are such small communities in comparison to others in the
running it is hard to believe that there might be hope for us.  It is also
doubly difficult because the poverty of our communities means that less than
half the residents have computer access in Ellsworth.

Personally, I hate messages like this myself that lay one more burden on me,
but I am asking you to consider doing all that you can.  Thanks in advance.
Hope springs eternal.  Margaret