[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA 8/09

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Aug 16 17:08:29 PDT 2014

*SAT AUG 09** Dexter to Winterset, IA*

In Nov 2013 I gave the Iowa Coordinator Nancy Trask’s contact info. Nancy
became the coordinator for the March in Winterset. She orchestrated a
potluck at the Library where we had a discussion about the challenges of
Climate Change with the local residents that attended. There was a Native
American in attendance. He gave us a parable:  The Creator had a gift that
s/he wanted to give Creation to be protected. The Eagle said, I’ll take it
and fly to the moon with it. The Creator said, That won’t do. The gopher
said, I’ll take it and go down to the center of the earth. The Creator
said, That won’t do. The whale said, I’ll take it to the bottom of the
ocean. The Creator said, That won’t do. The mouse said, I’ll take it and
swallow it and keep it in my stomach. The Creator gave it to the mouse!

I stayed with Nancy. I had a shower, laundry done, slept in a bed, and
caught up with Nancy’s latest happenings. I learned that her daughter,
Ashley, had graduated from university with a degree in German, and drifted
from one unsatisfactory job to another. I told her about my stay with Joan
Wallace and her use of the Internet to establish her own business in
translation. Not only does she have her own business, she creates her own
schedule. I need to put Nancy in touch with Joan so Joan can help Ashley
create her own business as Joan has done.

*SUN AUG 10*  *Winterset to Valley Junction, IA *

Our destination today was to the farm where Sarah Spain, our coordinator,
grew up.  Bob Cook, a retired Presbyterian minister who has been on the
March when his health allows, requested that the Climate Justice Gypsy Band
play at his Johnston, IA church on Sunday morning. So we ferried the band
members and instruments from Sarah’s farm to Johnston. We played a prelude.
Then we played *Amazing Grace* after communion. And we played *May the
Circle Be Unbroken* as the postlude.

I went out in the congregation after the service to meet and greet people.
Someone came up behind me and asked, “Are you David?” I turned to see who
had asked the question. It was Cathy Engstrom. She and I had worked
together at INHF for 7 years! We exchanged hugs. We all went to coffee
hour.  Back at the farm, Sarah had set up a potluck dinner in the hayshed.
I think the guests were neighbors. An 83-year-old woman joined the March
that evening. She removed my ability to brag that I was the oldest person
on the March. Izzy made sure that we sang the Sunset Song before bedtime.-
Peace, David