[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Aug 6

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Aug 12 11:21:23 PDT 2014

*WED AUG 06*—*Cumberland to Bridgewater, IA*

  Overnight it rained, probably about an inch of rain. Luckily I had put my
sleeping gear on the floor in one of the pavilions. David Oosterberg’s tent
flooded so he moved into the pavilion. All of his sleeping gear was wet.  The
land is hilly. There were numerous large windmills generating electricity.
I took some pictures but the mist was so strong that the picture doesn’t
show the windmills.

Bridgewater is a mile south of Hwy 92. The campsite was the grade school.

We were able to camp in the gym. The kitchen adjoined it.  JJ had arrived
early and gone downtown. He had met Dennis Stuva at the cafe. Dennis
indicated he had 7 acres of native prairie that he had inherited from his
aunt.  JJ wanted to see the prairie and invited me to go along. Dennis
escorted us out to his prairie and showed us around. He hays it every fall.
He has had a contact with The Nature Conservancy (TNC) but not the Iowa
Prairie Network (IPN) nor Iowa Natural Heritage Fdn. He doesn’t use the
computer but his wife does. He’s not certain what he will do in the future.
I have his wife’s email address and I’m going to notify both organizations.

JJ and I got back to school in time to leave for the State Fair Parade in
Des Moines. I had planned to go and ride my bike in the Parade. In the
afternoon it sprinkled then started to rain. It would be an hour and ½ to
get to Des Moines in the truck. I was not willing to spend the time and
bike in the rain. I stayed in camp and attended an all-camp Community
Workshop—Discussion Groups—Appreciative Inquiry, Design Phase. The focus
was for 5 different groups:  1.    Network development    2.    Action
            3. Community Engagement  4.    Media  5.    Internal +
Recruitment.  There’s nothing on paper so I don’t know what the next steps
are.

The Bridgewater community brought a potluck dinner. One of the families
that we met the night before came over from Cumberland. We have had great
meals brought to us almost every night!  Tomorrow would be another long day
so we went to bed early anticipating getting up early.
--
Peace, David