[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA August 5

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Aug 9 15:19:51 PDT 2014

TUE AUG 05—*Atlantic to Cumberland, IA*

 I wanted to take advantage of Larry's early departure and get to camp in
time to eat breakfast and pack a lunch. It was sprinkling rain when we left
the farm. He dropped me off with my gear and my bike, but it was too late
for breakfast and packing a lunch. I located my backpack and re-installed
it on the back of the seat frame under the veranda . I was still working on
the installation when it was time to Circle-up. I went to the circle and
when it was over I still had to finish the installation. I wore my raincoat
but the sprinkle was so light and the coat so hot that I took it off.  I’m
hoping the difficulty I’m having with hills is a result of the extra weight
from the back tire. It no longer has air; it’s filled with padding. The
nice thing about that is that I don’t have to worry about a flat. The
difficult thing is the extra weight it gives the bike.

In Cumberland we had 2 pavilions at the city park campground. We used one
as a dining/meeting room. We had a meeting to discuss the technical details
for the plan to give financial contributions to people who have a history
of advocating concern for the climate change, who want to join us, but
don’t have ability to do it financially. The issue was not resolved
before Cumberland
residents/farmers came with a potluck dinner. They brought two grills and
provided hamburgers and hotdogs. It was a marvelous meal and there were
leftovers that they left with us.

Izzy, JJ, and Luke planned to go to the local bar and play some music.
After dinner we had an evening Circle-up. It was decided that we would have
breakfast at 5 am so we could make tomorrow’s March and have some of the
meetings that had been canceled today. It was 8:45 pm before we could get
away to play music. And we had to walk to and from the bar. Since I had to
carry my bass, it was so late, and we were getting up so early I
declined.  Many
of us used the second pavilion as our ’bedroom’. Some even joined us in the
middle of the night because we had a rainstorm.
--
Peace, David