[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Aug. 3

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Aug 7 15:11:11 PDT 2014

*SUN AUG 03*

It was only a 9 mile March to Atlantic. I arranged to ride one of the
bicycles that was not being ridden and put the Recumbent, with the broken
seat, in the Gear truck. When I arrived in Atlantic I phoned Denise
O’Brien. She and her husband, Larry Harris, live 6 miles from town. She
indicated that she would be in town around 11am. I sat by the swimming pool
and did some journaling. She arrived in the family pickup. I put all my
overnight gear and my bike in the pickup and she took me out to their farm.
It’s the family farm  where Larry grew up. It has lots of accumulation: the
way our Reese Homestead did.

I settled in and waited for the 2pm Field Day that Denise and Larry were
having for Practical Farmers of Iowa. A school bus brought the Marchers out
for the Field Day. It was focused on their organic garden and their two
green house tunnels. One was approximately 30 feet wide and 15 feet high.
The other was enormous. I’m estimating that it was 50 feet wide and 30 feet
high. At this point in the year it still had the top (sheet plastic) on but
it was rolled up from the bottom about 5 ft. They market their produce and
schedule their planting season. One example was that they have just planted
their fall spinach crop.

When the event finished we went back to the house for snacks. The evening
meal was a potluck provided by Denise and her family—sister and daughter.
Eventually the school bus took the Marchers back to the park in Atlantic.
In addition to me there were 5 Marchers that stayed on the farm and camped. I
consulted with Larry and Denise to find out if there was a prospect of
getting my bike seat fixed. They recommended someone they knew. I went out
to the barn and removed the broken seat from the bike and put it in
Denise’s car so we could take it when she was ready to make the trip in the
morning.
--
Peace, David