[Oe List ...] Salmon:A couple of stories

William Salmon wsalmon at cox.net
Wed Sep 18 15:02:00 PDT 2013

Paula--The print shop I remember was down the street very near the
    The boiler room in the basement brings another memory or two.
    When preparing myself for an internship in June of 1972, I traveled to Chicago on recruiting trips for Kansas Wesleyan University. Before that job was over, I recruited one young 5th Citizen college student who came and made a educational name for herself. Unfortunately, I have trouble remembering names. Sometimes I forget that I'm married to Betty Sue, that is another story.
    I planned to stay over the weekend at the seminary, and I arrived in the early evening to park on the street in my school car--a brand new Chevy Impala. I entered the building through the Guard Shack to a follow wearing a gun. Others were busy charting!
Since it was Friday evening, everyone was eating everywhere, including on the floor upon the dirtiest carpet I ever saw. The food was good though--especially the bread pudding.
    Later, they took me to my room in the basement in what was the coal bin. They gave me two clear sheets and a pillow (I think that is what they called it). There being no light, it was iffy in getting everything put together.
    Reveille was the traditional gong and spiritual phrase.
    My first meeting was with an old friend from Kansas--a pastor (not Philbrook) who later left the Order to serve a church in the Chicago suburbs. Damn him! He crushed my bubble big time, and then later he ran out on me.
    He asked me what I was doing, and I gave him my report of working for Kansas Wesleyan and beginning the Kansas Lake Ministry at 4 Kansas lakes.
    He looked through me and said, "Too bad you are not doing enough!" "What do you mean," I stammered? "Is what you are doing global and replicable?" That sold me right there. The rest of the weekend is lost to memory except for the Sunday afternoon Sacramental meal. I remember some colleague saying a pray on some subject, and Joseph interrupted him by saying, (in effect), "Don't listen to him, God. He doesn't know what he is talking about."
    After that my only concern was if my car survived or not.  It did! Do Guardian Angels exist? Naw, just raw luck.

    My other story about the basement is the first weekend of our internment. Beverly was assigned to paint the old gym, and I was assigned to Baby Care. I learn all about diaper songs, and feeding songs, and whatever else was necessary. Later, Marilyn and John Crocker were sent for the summer to India and we were put in charge of fairly new twins. Geez, they were identical and weighed in like football linemen. Carrying them up the stairs to the Crocker's apartment was a living chore. In order to keep them identified, I marked their initials on their foreheads with permanent markers--of course, this is what made them so diddly dern smart. Look at them know. The next time you see them, look closely at their foreheads.

    Ah, I have so many other stories to tell, and I'll get to it soon. One is the greeting we received in the seminary hall while our son, Wesley, was getting mugged by the children in the courtyard. Another, is why they told us that all that we brought with us would be left overnight in the middle of the street. Whatever was left over was what we really would need for the duration.
    It really is a shame that was more myth than reality. I'll save that one for later, including the one about Richard Epson--a real honest-to-goodness colleague who caught the vision of the print-shop significance.
    Inner Peace,
    Bill