[Oe List ...] An apology to the "girls"

Marilyn Crocker marilyncrocker at juno.com
Mon Nov 18 19:56:18 PST 2013

Hi Jan, Jaime and other colleagues engaged in “remembering” on this the 50th
anniversary of 11/22/1963,

On that day in 1963 I was driving home from my last class before
Thanksgiving break at Harvard Graduate School and stopped for tea with a
former Smith college classmate who lived in Cambridge, MA.  Neither Elaine,
my friend, nor I experienced being diminished in any way – in the church, in
the university, nor in the workplace – by the “firmly in place patriarchy”
Jaime references.

If there was any “living model” who emerged from that sad time it was JFK’s
wife, the beautiful, composed, caring one, utterly  sensitive to the need to
place her own grief above that of ministering to the grief of a nation.

I’m currently leading a group at our church in an Advent study of Borg and
Crossan’s The First Christmas.  The authors remind us in Chapter 2 (lest we
have forgotten or overlooked it) that one of the 3 key themes in the Gospel
of Luke is “an emphasis on women,” a theme carried forth in both the Gospel
of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles (a second volume of his Gospel) written
about 80-90 CE.

I’m guessing we might begin there in exploring within the Judeo-Christian
tradition the origin of the “divine feminine,” worthy of being both “chosen”
and “spoken to by angels” (as was Joseph repeatedly in the Gospel of
Matthew), and that we might resist later “heresies” of
mucho-macho-patriarchy.

Just my two cents.

Grace and peace – and prayers that the gifts of all God’s creation may be
appreciated,

Marilyn