[Oe List ...] Reflection by Del

Del Morril delhmor at wamail.net
Tue Jun 25 11:08:00 PDT 2013

Reflection by Del on June 22, 2013

As I watch the credits roll for a film about post-war Europe and the
relocating of thousands of orphaned children due to WW II's destruction and
concentration camps, I am in awe over the names that appear before me -
names reflecting an amazing variety of backgrounds, cultures, and nations -
Czech, Pole, German, French, English, on and on - all with something they
are offering us and the rest of the world.

And I reflect on all the peoples who came to this particular land, from all
over the world at various times in our history - even back to the first who
were here to greet those arriving from Europe.

And I find myself recalling how the Chinese began their lives here, and what
they went through to remain.  And I recall the Japanese who established
their presence and homes in our own area of the Pacific Northwest, and the
hardships they faced as WWII imposed itself on them, as well.  And I recall
all the others who came - some to escape persecution of one kind or another,
whether Christian, Jew or agnostic; some to simply have a better chance of
surviving economically; some to join their relatives; and others to take on
jobs that no one else wanted, or else needed cheap labor. Whether as free
people, as indentured servant, slave, or those who continue to face the
terror of crossing a border in order to feed their families, they continue
to come, just as they did centuries or decades ago.

Some families continue to arrive as refugees from more than a World War II.
They come because humankind persists in fighting over politics, philosophy,
religion or land, pushing out the innocent for whom they believe they are
fighting.

We are, indeed, an amazing land of diversity, expressing every country in
the world, be it Asian, African, European, Australian or what-ever.  It is
what distinguishes us.  It is what propels our creativity and humanity.

Despite our own history of persecutions and murderousness against particular
peoples who were merely trying to forge new lives in a new country, we still
manage to hold together without destroying our towns and cities over our
differences.  We've had our eruptions - riots or protests gone wild - and
yet remain a people of one nation, despite those differences. We will
probably continue to have differences, and continue to struggle and debate
over who should enter our shores.  But I hope we never forget that our own
forebears struggled so that we could have the very freedom and new chances
in life that others desire to have.

This includes those who have come to have more opportunities in their art,
music or dance. It includes those who have become to escape political or
religious persecution. As horrible as it might be, it includes, s well,
those who brought there against their will so that others could have "more".
And it includes those who continue to be brought here with a hopefulness
that turns out to be the hell of prostitution due to others who want "more".
It includes those who have come because they believed our streets were paved
with gold, only to discover the same poverty from which they had escaped.
And it does, indeed, include many others who seek merely to experience
liberty for the first time in their lives.

Those who continue to come to our shores are not much different than those
already here. Some are born into a life they hope for, and others never are,
but hope their children will find that new life. Regardless of the reasons
for which all of our forbears came, and the reasons that people continue to
come here, this is, indeed, one land and one people - not a melting pot but
a kaleidoscope of creative energy and great gifts to us all.

Most of our people have the opportunity of a second chance, a new life and,
above all, freedom.  As warped as that freedom seems, at times, it is still
the underlying pinning of our country. We are ruled, no more wisely or
unwisely as any other country, by the People. It is through our voices of
support and complaint, for good or for ill. It is by our votes into office
those who are to speak for us.  It is hoped that our chosen representatives
will vote wisely for our sakes - all of us, rich or poor, male or female,
young or old. It is in and for this place called America! It is this country
called the UNITED States of America.

Del

Del Hunter Morrill

3217 North Mason Avenue

Tacoma WA 98407-5419

H: (253) 752-1506; W: (253) 383-5757

 <mailto:delhmor at wamail.net> delhmor at wamail.net

Web site: www. hypnocenter.com

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. (Joseph Campbell)