[Oe List ...] A review of Charles Taylor's "The Secular Society"

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 14:36:37 PDT 2013

Herman,

I read Brooks' article this morning somewhat hastily.  What I thought he missed was the subtle distinction between belief (intellectual assent) and faith ("you-bet-your-life" trust), which is a very healthy and informative conversation going on today in certain circles.  Whether he (Brooks) does justice to Taylor's book, I do not know, but on what appears to be the same subject I would recommend The Future of Faith by Harvey Cox and Thank God for Evolution by Michael Dowd.  Dowd's book, which I suspect you are familiar with, is about the marriage of science and religion, which he explains thoroughly and, for my money, quite convincingly.

Randy

No change without action, no action without thought.
-Anonymous