[Oe List ...] OE songs

frank bremner fjbremner at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:08:49 PDT 2013

I don't know of any complete and comprehensive collection.  In the Philadelphia House in 1979-80 we copies of two LPs - mainly Other World and cabaret-era songs.  As I remember the singing was more on the pole of "a perfect choir" rather than on the pole of "gutsy stuff".

To me this would be a good project for an international team.  A set of CDs coverering various eras and places would be great. I still sing Stuart Hampton's adaptation of Blues in the Night, about trekking across South Australia (sleeping in the car in the back blocks of Eyre Peninsula).  And the Murrin Bridge song, where "singing" is a transitive verb - no preposition(s) required.

Maybe the CDs could mix solos, duets, quartets, small groups, jazz, show songs and many other treatments.  Different treatments of the same song.  How many variations on Gershwin's Summertime or Cohen's Hallelujah have your heard?  Cohen, my hero, sitting alongside Nick Cave, another hero, and writing/singing out of the Book of Job.  Which of our OE/EI/ICA songs would get a John Farnham treatment? (Who?  Google his name for his version of Help, and The Voice, the song that revived his career.)

I'm personally grateful to Mary Warren Moffat et al for deepening my appreciation of The Great American Songbook.  Kay Lush did point out that these songs did not necessarily connect with "Third World" villagers, in places there was and is a mixture of music.  Australian indigenous music goes from opera singers Harold Blair to Yothu Yindu to Deb Mauboy (in the movie Shine) to Motown (the movie The Sapphires) to Rolf Harris interpretations like Sun Arise and so on.

Back to those first two images.  Like comparing the first concerts, according to the newspapers, of the Rolling Stones US tour of late 1979 (early 1980), which were pretty perfect and boring , with later concerts where the guys improvised, had a good time, and the fans were much more appreciative.  I saw Cliff Richard and the Shadows a few years back - a 50th anniversary tour - and they obviously still enjoyed performing despite having their arrrangements and choregography down pat.  Ditto for The Beachboys last year.  Further back, a Kronos Quartet concert was great because they coped with breaking violin strings etc - much warmth and humour.  Peter Brook (The Empty Space - a great and important book!) wrote a long time ago (early '70s) of how important it is that the audience participates in the performance.

Cheers

Frank Bremner