[Oe List ...] Further thoughts on the future - the easy one

Shelley Hahn shelley.l.hahn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 08:17:02 PDT 2013

I am only on the OE listserv because it connects me to my large extended
family who have been such an important part of my life.  I don't know what
the Dialogue listserv is like, since I don't subscribe to it, but I imagine
that it is more about "the work" than "the people."  Of course, I know we
cannot completely separate the people from the work--especially since the
"mission" continues to be important to so many.  And I appreciate hearing
about what people are doing--but mostly because I care about the people
more than because I necessarily feel connected to their work.  (I don't
mean to sound indifferent or apathetic; just making a point about my
focus.)  In a perfect world, I'd rather not have a huge volume of email
added that's about the work of the EI/ICA and its offspring ... but I doubt
I'd opt out of the list if the two lists were combined.

I believe it was Herman who said something recently about the fact that
we're colleagues first and friends second (or something like that; pardon
the paraphrasing).  But to me, you are all family first, friends second,
and only sort of colleagues.  I am so very grateful for this forum that
allows me to stay connected to you all.

Herman, I know I didn't fill in the blanks very succinctly, but perhaps my
verbose response will help whomever makes decisions about these two lists.
:)

Fond regards to all,
Shelley