[Oe List ...] Ruth Carter -- Iron Woman

Lela Jahn lelajahn at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 30 12:28:37 PDT 2013

Ruth and I were tied at the hip for the 3 years in the late
60's when I was the director of the 5th City Preschool and she was my right and
left hand. She and I climbed many mountains together -- attending a national
preschool workshop because the curriculum received a National 1st place award from
the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO), receiving teaching machines from IBM
for the 4 year olds which got our picture in the newspaper because of the
audacity of believing machines could teach, making really cool uniforms for all
the teachers, designing the new preschool building on 5th Avenue with Sheldon
Hill ---  the list goes on and on. Yet there
were also many valleys where Ruth never flinched, never complained. She stood
firm in her belief that the 5th City Preschool was a demonstration to the world
of the importance of  providing all
children from 4 months on up with a positive self-image.  In turn, Ruth Carter,
became my mentor, my symbol,  of the Iron Woman standing in the desert with arms
out stretched knowing that the desert could become the promised land. And it did because
she lived --- and still does in the lives of all she touched.

 Lela Jahn