[Oe List ...] (no subject)

Tim Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Wed Jan 16 13:10:22 PST 2013

David asked:

> I have recieved spammed emails from Mary and two others who arenot subscribed to this
> list. Is  there any way to block emails from anyone who is not suscribed to this list?

David and everyone. I can protect the lists from list members whose emails are hacked. I did
this just now for Mary and Wayne. What I do is turn on their moderation flag, so I have to
approve mail posted from their email. That way if they want to post they can, but the spam
won't some through. This might mean their posts are delayed since it has to wait until I get to
it.

Of course there is nothing I can do about mail you get that is not from the list. And this tactic
will not stop your getting spam email from list members directly.

If you see mail on one of the mailing lists similar to Mary's that is clearly spam, please email
me directly. Posting to the list just adds more noise to the lists (as this email is, but I
reluctantly concluded it was necessary).

I did a bit of research and there was a recent exploit that affected Yahoo users. If this
happens to your email, at a minimum change your email password. And of course, avoid
clicking on links in emails, even if they are from people you know.

Your mailing list servant,

Tim Wegner