[Oe List ...] The light ...

Nancy Lanphear nancy at songaia.com
Tue Jan 1 21:02:43 PST 2013

Dear Ones,

Once again, this year has been a year of endings and a year of beginnings.
As I am challenged to maintain an open heart and mind about the present and
future of our planet and human life, I find the conversations within our
meditation group to be helpful. How do I/we celebrate life and it's gifts
available to us AND share the grief of peoples/creatures of our world who
live in fear, terror and starvation?  Several years ago I discovered a poem
by Thich Nhat Hahn that spoke to me then and continues to speak as his
words return to my thoughts. It speaks to the dilemma that I feel daily...
holding images of the whole of existence.  My own poetry writing is at a
plateau at this moment and so I choose to share words from a mentor and
friend, PLEASE CALL ME BY MY TRUE NAMES.

It has been two years since Fred's passing from his earthly life to
journey-on in whatever form beautiful energy can be found.  Our family and
friends continue to share memories of Fred - often laughing, making jokes
and shedding tears as we tell stories, singing one of his favorite songs,
looking at his photos .... my 7 year old neighbor Alex asked me the other
day if he could see some photos of Grandpa Fred who is a vibrant presence
in our lives; in the lives of young and old.  Our community, my beloved
community of Songaia is so present in my life. We are in the midst of
creating a larger neighborhood that includes 2 other communities whose
properties are adjacent to ours, in fact they include some of the original
Songaia members who have moved and opened the doors for new members on the
original property. The garden was incredibly beautiful this past summer
with the creative guidance of Patricia Newkirk as garden manager along with
our own community Biogaians, many volunteers and our first 3 garden
interns. Our new web site in process can be seen ...     www.songaia.com

Fred's and my whole family gathered this afternoon with the exception of
our oldest grand daughter, Ilaria ( Bob and Nina's daughter) who is in
Scotland with her significant other, Nico. They will be back in Seattle in
January for a few months.  I always look forward to our holiday time
together, each family; Bob, Ann, Noah (19), Noah's girlfriend Carla and
Mason (17) who live in Seattle; Bruce, Nancy, Rachel, Ella and Martha from
Vancouver, BC; Sandra, Paul, Alex and Matthew Krause from Redmond, WA.  We
shared a jointly prepared meal on Christmas evening, all attended the movie
of Les Miserables on the day after Christmas - this was a highlight of our
time together.  Wanting another opportunity to be together before
scattering once again, we shared a meal on Friday and concluded the evening
choosing our animal totems for the year. Mine was the hummingbird - A GIFT
OF JOY.  Choosing the animal cards have been a practice of our family over
the years - it allows our gratitude to go beyond the human realm into the
circle of the whole EARTH COMMUNITY.

Reconnecting with old friends has been part of my spiritual practice this
year.  It has mostly been done through emails and letters, some phone calls
and visits.  Sharing experiences with those of my age along with those my
children's ages has added to my sense of gratitude for the part they have
played in my life.  Reaching out to families of those with ALS and /or
other illnesses  and limitations is also a part of my spiritual practice.

May the LIGHT of the new year bring brightness and warmth as we  care for
the planet and each other within the earth community.  The light has always
returned following the darkness, it is indeed happening once again..

With love,

Nancy
[image: PLEASE CALL ME BY MY TRUE
NAME]<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=b87a3c2848&view=att&th=13bf99c97471aa67&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_hb3vs2kk0&zw>