[Oe List ...] Fwd: Eco-Justice Ministries: 90 Days of Earth Care

Karenbueno karenbueno at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 08:50:09 PST 2013

Doris Hahn, and others, These action alerts on "Green Team" ministries are worth our taking part.

Karen Bueno

40 + 50 = 90 days of active Earth care
Dear Becky ,
In the coming months, two excellent programs are available to guide you and your congregation in faithful and effective action for Earth care. Eco-Justice Ministries strongly encourages you to take part in one or both of them.
During the 40 days of Lent, you can participate in the Ecumenical Carbon Fast. Through the 50 days of Eastertide, congregations (especially in the United Church of Christ) will join in a shared initiative of Mission 4/1 Earth.
40 days -- 50 days -- together a consecutive 90 days of faithful Earth care. Sign up now.

Shalom!
Rev. Peter Sawtell, Executive Director
Eco-Justice Ministries

ECUMENICAL CARBON FAST
for the 40 days of Lent (bonus: plus Sundays!)
an initiative of New England Regional Environmental Ministries
The Lenten disciplines of repentance, fasting, prayer, study and works of love are guides for returning to the steadfast love of God. During Lent we confess our mortality, our limits and our vulnerability so that we might be transformed and become the new life God calls us to be.
We invite you to join us as we commit to fasting from carbon during Lent. Beginning Ash Wednesday and throughout Lent, participants will receive a daily email with the day's suggested carbon-reducing activity. When possible, this will include a quantitative measure of the carbon reduction resulting from the activity. Each daily email will also have a section suggesting a weekly focus for the congregation.
The activities range from the very simple: eliminate “vampire” electrical use; to the moderately challenging: take “military showers;” reduce your driving speed; to more long term: buy local produce and consider getting involved in a community garden.
We don't expect everyone to be able to do everything suggested; but serious consideration of each day's activity can raise your awareness, inviting you to think more carefully about how your day to day living impacts the environment and make the changes you can. In addition to the activity for the day you will find information about the carbon impact of the activity, along with links to more information related to that activity.
In addition to your personal participation, encourage your congregation to make the Ecumenical Lenten Carbon Fast your congregation's Lenten discipline. Congregations that participate are encouraged to gather weekly to share their experiences, support one another, compare notes, share resources and pray. Our hope is that Christians the world over from every denomination might participate in this carbon fast.
Daily email messages will begin on Ash Wednesday, February 13, and continue through Easter Sunday, March 31, 2013. Click here to sign up for the daily emails.
For more information about the 2013 carbon fast, see macucc.org/carbonfast

MISSION 4/1 EARTH
for the 50 days of Eastertide -- Easter to Pentecost
an initiative of the United Church of Christ
a shared resurrection witness for Planet Earth during 50 great days
of greening up, powering down, and shouting out.

Mission 4/1 Earth is a project of the national United Church of Christ. Congregations from other denominations are certainly welcome to use the program outline and materials, and to engage in a similar initiative on thier own.
Mission 4/1 Earth has three goals:

Collectively offer more than one million hours of engaged earth care, including clean up, advocacy, education, and behavioral changes that will impact the environment.

Collectively plant more than 100,000 trees locally and globally in partnership with the National Arbor Day Foundation and the UCC's denominational partners around the world.

Collectively write/send more than 100,000 advocacy letters on environmental concerns to elected officials and local and national newspapers.

This denominational initiative is a wonderful way for UCC congregations to join with other churches in a range of powerful and effective activities. Strong goals, great supporting materials, and the encouragement of other churches make this a great way to get your church involved -- or more involved -- in eco-justice action.
The extensive website for the project is at www.ucc.org/earth/. To be ready for these Eastertide activities, be sure to start planning now!

This email was sent to rlasswell at comcast.net by ministry at eco-justice.org |

Eco-Justice Ministries | 400 S Williams St | Denver | CO | 80209