[Oe List ...] Ruth Carter -- Iron Woman

Marilyn Crocker marilyncrocker at juno.com
Thu Aug 1 15:20:53 PDT 2013

What a wonderful piece of history, Nan.

When Joe and I arrived in Chicago in 1968 I spent every other weekend on EG
- teaching the comprehensive curriculum to grades 4,5 and 6.  Whatever was
being taught to adults on campus that weekend was to be taught to our
children.  That year my group included 3 Grows, 4 Boivins and assorted
others.  I loved it, although my permeation job was being a college teacher.
I recently reminded Keith and Brad how much that time meant to me.

My big  "deer in the headlights" response to an assignment came in January
1971 in Sydney Australia when Jim Bishop assigned Ann Duffy and me to "head
up" the EG camp in Perth during the Aussie Summer program.

At that time my permeation assignment was teaching high school - a far cry I
felt from infant thru grade 8+ camp.  I  also realized this assignment would
mean agonizing leave-taking from my 6-month old twins in Sydney, a continent
away from Perth.  But after 2.5 years in the Order I was disciplined enough
to say "yes" to my assignment, delighted Jeanette Stanfield would be
surrogate parent to Jon and Ben, and eager to work with Ann, and so headed
west.

On the bus that crossed the continent with participants from more eastern
spots, Ann and I recruited the most wonderful EG Camp faculty: gems among
which were John Hutchinson, Julie Braithwaite and Pat Smith.  That year we
had a number of infant and preschoolers from Mowanjum, all of whom had
serious dysentery and malnourishment, which Ann dealt with in her inimitable
measure upon measure of love.  (She, too, had left an infant, David Duffy,
in the care of Jeanette.) I wish I could remember the theme of our Camp and
the songs we created.  It was outstanding, and we all returned to our
original places enriched and so thankful that our capacities had been so
terribly but wonderfully stretched!  (Thanks Jim Bishop!!)

I realize all of that would  not have been possible without the pilot
demonstration "Fifth City Preschool!"

Yes, may Ruth Carter's name be raised with deep respect around the world.

Marilyn