[Oe List ...] Passing of Joyce Townley

Marilyn Crocker marilyncrocker at juno.com
Fri Apr 5 16:00:41 PDT 2013

Dear Anne, Steve, Laura and Brian,

Joe and I send our love and best wishes to you, and condolences on the loss
of your Mom, Joyce, after what must have been a pain-filled year for her and
all of you.

We remember with deep appreciation Joyce, whom we knew well back in the late
60s on the West Side Campus.  Joe and I enjoyed many occasions with Phil and
Joyce, whether out for an evening dancing, or engaged in profound
conversations about the current direction of our "mission."  Joe considered
Phil one of his closest colleagues; I held Joyce as a mentor of grace,
accomplishment, and mature intentionality, and as a young 26 year old then,
I longed to be like her.

As new interns in 1968 we were assigned to the same College (I think that
was what we called it then), and Joyce spoke during our evening meals with
such delight of "Steve and Laurie" who were getting ready to go overseas as
high school students.  We met "Laurie" much later as our dear Laura, when we
were assigned to the Philadelphia Religious House with her, and saw so much
of her Mom reflected in her amazing strength, intelligence and
intentionality.

In 1968 Brian was a little 2 year old (or so it seemed to me he was about
that age) and I will always remember Joyce's witness in Daily Office about
Brian's profound theological comment to her, occasioned by bubbles at bath
time that for her captured the ever-present wonder and awe in  ordinary
daily acts and encounters.  That year she was assigned (among other things)
to head up "maintenance," handing out brooms, buckets and wastebaskets to us
as we did our morning "obediences."  She always looked like a  Glamour model
to me, as I swept whatever assigned space after breakfast, and then hurried
out to my job as "permeator."

Joe and I last spent time with Joyce at the reception at Kemper following
Phil's Memorial Service.  Even after 30 years she represented all the
qualities we had always cherished as "Joyce."

We give great thanks for her life and the gift her presence offered to our
family.

Grace, peace and love,

Marilyn and Joe

Marilyn R. Crocker, Ed.D