[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] The old Order passing away

Susan Fertig susan at gmdtech.com
Thu Sep 27 23:01:15 PDT 2012

You were wise to be terrified, Jann.  My sister and I used to perform the
Tinikling and other folk dances (e.g. Pandango sa ilaw - the one with the
lit wicks floating in glasses filled with coconut oil, you danced with one
on the back of each hand and one balanced on your head, or Itik Itik, the
duckling dance, or Singkil -not sure of the spelling on that one-from
Mindanao).  At one point the Philippine Rotary Club had us go on tour to
various cities performing with our dad (a Rotarian) as chaperone.  Anyway,
at the time I was painfully skinny and quite lithe, but I can't tell you how
many times I sprained one or the other ankle with the Tinikling.  It was
always an accident waiting to happen.  Later, in the states in college in
Colorado, I begged bamboo poles from carpet stores who used to roll carpets
around them for shipping, and I taught my sorority sisters all the dances
for college variety shows, for which we sewed some half-decent likenesses of
the familiar costumes and managed not to fall off the stage in the theatre.
I even taught a guy who was a dance major to do the Tinikling, and he and I
performed it for a local Denver TV station!  Nowadays if I try to do all
that jumping around, at my age, I'm likely to pee my pants!  Pandango sa
ilaw is about my speed these days-a much calmer dance (although once in a
while you shatter a glass that slips off your head-not the best when you are
dancing barefoot)!

Susan

We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power
of government, far from it. We've staked the future of all our political
institutions upon our capacity... to sustain ourselves according to the Ten
Commandments of God. (James Madison, 1778 to the General Assembly of the
State of Virginia)