[Oe List ...] Carol Pierce

Doris Hahn dshahn31 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:35:12 PDT 2012

News of Carol's death hits hard. We traveled quite a journey together, as
did we all. And in many way, it continues.

Charles and I traveled three months in 1966, with Carol and Joe, visiting
countries of the Arab world. We spent a lot of time reading, talking and
reflecting before we left Chicago, and of course, that continued throughout
the trip. During meals and coffee/tea breaks, Carol often made some
succinct comment (laced with facts and figures) about the current country
we were visiting. Joe would say, "How do you know that?" to which Carol
would reply, "Well, it was in that book we read before we left Chicago."
And Joe would just shake his head in disbelief (and some degree of disgust).

I last saw Carol at her apartment. We had to rush the visit a bit, because
she was being picked up by some specially equipped vehicle and whisked off
to a medical appointment. So, my last memory of Carol is her wheeling
herself onto a elevator/platform that went up a few feet from her "garden"
apartment to ground level, thereby allowing her to move her wheelchair
directly out onto the driveway. She wheeled around, waved goodbye and was
on her way.

Grace and Peace,
Doris Hahn