[Oe List ...] Dorothy Day and Joe Mathews on the Same Track

LAURELCG at aol.com LAURELCG at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 10:46:51 PST 2012

Thank you, Randy. Great minds, indeed.
Jann

In a message dated 11/28/2012 10:43:57 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rcwmbw at yahoo.com writes:

Friends and Colleagues,

One of Joe's quotes, I think from the RS-1 Church  Lecture, which many of
you may have used from time to time, as I  have, to express your frustration
with the church, was "The  church is a whore but she's my mother."

Dorothy Day, cofounder of the Catholic Worker Movement, would have  been
115 years old this month.  The Catholic Church is currently in the  process of
canonizing her.  Today I ran across an article which  she wrote and
published in The Catholic Worker in January of 1967 entitled "In  Peace Is My
Bitterness Most Bitter."  In this article she is chastising  some of those in the
church who, among other things, had called for a  "total" U.S. victory in
the Viet Nam War.  In that article  I discovered this quote from Dorothy Day.
 "As to the  Church...  Though she is a harlot at times, she is our
Mother."   (Joe may well have placed the comma after the word  "harlot.")

Having imagined all these years that this was one of the more  brazen
statements Joe Mathews ever uttered, I was amazed to run across  the same
statement, from about that same time, from a Catholic  nun.

I'm not sure why this struck me as such an interesting  discovery.  Perhaps
it is that, as I continue in the midst of my  life-long love/hate
relationship with institutional Christianity, I found  new justification that it is a
struggle worth having.  Whether Joe  got the quote from Dorothy Day or vice
versa, or whether it was a case  of two great minds using the same analogy,
I thought it worth  sharing with you.

If  anyone knows more about the history of this statement, I  would
interested to hear.

Be  well,
Randy

"Whatever the problem, community is the answer.  There is no  power greater
than a community discovering what it cares about."   Margaret  Wheatley

OE  mailing  list
OE at lists.wedgeblade.net