[Oe List ...] Gen. Conf. Analysis (From Salman)

Tim Wegner twegner at swbell.net
Wed May 9 15:36:58 PDT 2012

(I'm posting this for Bill Salmon)

Colleagues:
The following was sent to a friend and church member who is attending
the United Methodist General Conference in Tampa, Florida. She is
helping to staff the "Tabernacle Tent" representing the LGBTQ
(Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning)
homosexual community; she lobbies the delegates about this topic.
Saturday, she wrote about how tired she was and about a chance
encounter in the prayer room during which she was driven to tears of
tiredness. In this same email she recalled an incident in one of the
legislative committees during which an African woman stood and cried
out her frustration on any approval of the LGBTQ screaming that if
passed the result would be the depopulation and end of the world. In
a phrase, those at the General Conference are filled with fearfulness
and deep angst.
The following is my message to her. It is my message to you. We are
living in "In-Between Times" in which we are experiencing the death
knell of the Modern Worldview characterized by modern science, and
the New Post-Modern Worldview of those so-wired after 1985. Please
read on.
Inner Peace,
Bill
PS:: When you find this is helpful, please send it out as needed. WES
+++
+++ +++
Beverly,
It is early Sunday morning, and I awakened to read your email about
Saturday's work and your personal experience in the Prayer Room.
Interesting. However, the women's screaming episode also caught my
attention. In many ways it is silly, yet it has profound
implications. Perhaps, your weariness and her angst have something in
common.
Bev, you are standing in one of the epi-centers of history, and the
reason why is that we are living in a "end times" (not capitalized)
very similar to the time surrounding Jesus and the Early Church, and
then again between the 15th to the 17th Centuries. During these
periods they experienced an "end times" associated with the collapse
of the Early Church's societal model and the birth of the Scientific
Method (Renaissance, Reformation, Industrialization and Urbanization
i.e., the Modern Worldview).
At this very moment the General Conference (GC) is experiencing the
death knell of the Modern Worldview and the excitement at the birth
of the Postmodern Worldview!
The Death and New Birth of our Contemporary Worldviews:
Notice two things. First, the previous two global changes took place
over long extended periods of time: 1500 years between the Early
Church and the Modern systems in the 15 to the 17th Centuries. Our
Modern Worldview has been in the process for 600 years! The death
knell of the Modern Worldview began in 1917 with Einstein and E=MC2,
and we have lived on the cusp of the old and the birth of the new for
just 100 years! In terms of global change, this is very quick. Add to
this the rapid changes associated with the Baby-Boomers and then the
establishment of Generations X-Y-Z that occurred in the last 25 years
since 1985!
The Global Breakdown:
How do I know this is the case? Observe the global breakdown of our
Economic, Political and Cultural systems!
For the first time ever each and every member of this General
Conference are experiencing the collapse of the Social Process!!
Think for a moment about Global Economics and what is happening to
the entire banking, business, service and resource-distribution and
manufacturing systems. Think for a moment about what is happening to
Global Politics. Think for a moment about our Global family systems:
Educational policies, and the collapse of Global Religious symbols
and stories.
What this is telling us is that every delegate and observer at the GC
are hurting! In particular, you are standing at the center of Global
Christian Faith that is the last bastion of security in an insecure
world, AND THIS IS RADICALLY BEING CALLED INTO QUESTION.
Unfortunately, the majority of delegates and observers do not
understand this context.
People are scared shitless! They need to be hugged, and soothed and
supported. Instead, they are greeted by signs and symbols and
activities that represent the collapse. In your case, the collapse of
our understanding of THE FAMILY and its new and more inclusive birth.
On the other hand, you stand at the cusp of what was launched 100
years ago with Einstein. This is one auspicious time during which a
new baby is born, a birth that could shape the next 500 years!
Our task now is to rewrite the story of faith by pulling it through
the metaphors and symbols of the Jesus Story; these are archetypal
stories on which every global civilization finds meaning, each
according to its metaphors. Are all of the stories the same--not at
all, but they all have the same Ur-Texts. Christians name these texts
as the Jesus story.
The New Assignment:
What does this mean for you at General Conference.
Well, for one, get this context into the hands of as many people as
possible, because this describes the angst at the heart of the
proceedings. I plan to share this with as many others involved as
possible.
Second, instead of agitating, be a lover. Now you can reach out in
sympathy to each and every hurting person. Work to offer them the
hope for a new world instead of signs of the collapse. Our hope lies
in the Love of God that reaches out to the hurting and frustrated of
all persuasions.
Get a ribbon that says, "No matter what happens now -- God will see
us through."
Yawl become lovers of those you see as the enemy. It seems to me that
this is where you'll find Jesus.
What do you think?
Pastor Bill