[Oe List ...] Being Black in the Order Ecumenical

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 05:25:14 PDT 2012

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for this.  I dare say that in light of the ongoing conversation it took a bit of courage, probably the same kind of courage it took for you and the others to become a part of O:E back in the day.

It would be interesting and, at least for me, informative for you and me to sit someday and compare notes, both having been born in Gladewater at about the same time and raised in almost the same community.  (We moved to Longview when I was 4.)  I remember well the movie theaters, buses, drinking fountains, schools, etc. with black and white separation.  It's a wonder any of us of whatever color ever survived the sterotypes of inferiority or superiority that we were washed in.

Going to the University of Texas in Austin my freshman year in 1956 (which was otherwise disastrous) began the process of awakening my social consciousness and conscience.  The student body there was "integrated," meaning people of color were allowed to go to the same classes as whites, but there was little or no common participation beyond that.  For example, the Southwest Conference was still segregated.  As an aside, I was later at SMU when Jerry Levias broke through that barrier when he accepted a scholarship to play football.  The parents of the white kid with whom Levias roomed on road trips received hate mail at their Garland home for letting their son room with a black.

But what most got my attention and stuck in my mind was back at UT.  I was 17 years of age and could hardly be said to have broken out of the East Texas mindset, and yet this event grabbed me.  In the fine arts department a black woman was cast opposite a white male in the production of a romantic opera.  The outcry from the white community was such that the young woman was removed from the cast.  The episode came under national scrutiny and Harry Belafonte got wind of it, came to Austin to meet with her, and offered to pay her tuition to any school anywhere in the world to which she would choose to go.  The part of the story that really got me, the young woman opted to stay right where she was.

As to my awakenment, this all culminated with, as you call it, the "second civil war," the American civil rights movement of the 60s.  The 2x4 across my head was the death of MLK, Jr.  I went into the tomb, a period of abject depression that lasted several days, unlike I had experienced before or have since.  The phrase from the poetry, "ah but it is good to have died" resonates clearly with me when I think back on that experience, but it didn't feel that way at the time.  I returned a resurrected man, but what that came to mean was not at all what I anticipated.  Reminiscent of Tillich's grace happening, I woke up the same as before yet different, facing in a new direction but with a very long journey ahead that was just beginning, and for me it continues to this day.  I remember well the conversations in the Order about "inverted" or "turned-in" racism and I can think of many examples over the years of my exhibition of that within
 myself, some quite recent, and I am always a little shocked.  I have great hopes that I may finally, if even on my death bed, overcome prejudice, but I'm not placing any bets.

I did not intend to get into all this when I started this email.  I only wanted to thank you for your statement and for your collegiality over all these years.  It's strange how this stuff just began to roll out once I got started.  I'm not sure what the take away is here, but I am clear that this journey toward wholeness is a long one.  It is a very solitary journey and yet at the same time it occurs in the presence of a whole community of saints of which you, my dear friend, and Shrop, and Dharma, and Ching Ping, and a woman in Pisinemo on the Papago reservation with whom I had one very significant conversation, whose name I cannot remember, and countless others are a part.  And for this I am grateful.

Randy

"Listen to what is emerging from yourself to the course of being in the world; not to be supported by it, but to bring it to reality as it desires."
-Martin Buber (adapted)