[Oe List ...] Being Black in the Order Ecumenical

Ken Fisher hkf232 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:00:25 PDT 2012

Well said.

Thank you, Marshall.

Ken

On 2012-06-05, at 3:05 AM, W. J. wrote:

I was surprised that the question about what it was like to be black in the O:E really was not addressed by black colleagues. Instead it became a conversation in which white people TALKED about black people, remembering their names and unique contributions.
We didn't really articulate how critical black order members were/are to bailing us all out of our unconscious cultural reductionisms. I write, of course, as one of the "pinkies" who showed up in 5th City after the 1968 riots. It was absolutely essential that black colleagues in the community and in the Order gave their permission for us crazy white people to stay in 5th City. They claimed us as colleagues, they put up with us, they protected us, and they confronted us with our unconscious embodiment of white male privilege and racism. They grounded us in the experience of suffering in the community and joined with us in working to transcend the internalized racist stereotypes we were all struggling with. I suspect people of color in the Order had an often unacknowledged burden to bear in dealing with white male dominance.
It wasn't just that people of color were just as totally on top of everything as the white male leadership was (in other words, comfortable operating with the rational gifts of the white Ur). More importantly, coming from another profound experience of humanness, these colleagues often surprised us in their freedom from being stuck in "white man's consciousness", so to speak.
I'm trying to get beyond being yet another white person talking about black people. Several years ago I had the privilege of working with Lela Mosley, Ruth Carter, and Verdell Trice in getting the 5th City film released on DVD. Lela was at the end of her days, in and out of the hospital, and on oxygen, but she could sometimes talk with me on the phone. We were going over a list of deceased 5th Citizens whose contributions would be honored on the DVD. I would say, "What about So-and-so? Is she dead yet?" And Lela would say, "No, she's still kicking!" We would laugh. And it was kind of funny, you know, just to be standing in the Awe of all those people who had decided to give their lives in that geography. Not that they were black or white, economically advantaged or not. OR: In the Order. Or not. You get that? No difference (despite the difference). I tell you we will be highly privileged to join that company of 5th City Pioneers some day.
Joe Mathews said that what he was most proud of was being a 5th Citizen. Not of being the Dean of this crummy outfit called the Order. But (I would say) of standing his ground and being his "be" with the profound humanness we discovered and celebrated in 5th City. And if I can have just a tiny taste of that in my privileged white man's life, and if I was able to add just the smallest bit to the 'miracles' that we all participated in creating together, I think that would be enough for me.
Marshall Jones