[Oe List ...] Being Black in the Order Ecumenical

LAURELCG at aol.com LAURELCG at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 12:12:42 PDT 2012

A great privilege I remember was being in 5th City for Thanksgiving,  1975,
when neighborhood colleagues came to help prepare the feast. I  learned how
to make genuine candied sweet potatoes. We had so much fun, cooking  and
laughing.

A teenager heated her metal comb on a burner. The smell of singed hair as
she used it is still vivid.

Caught a glimpse of Ruth Carter in the 50/50 ICA video we saw at the
Hamiltons. What a marvelous model of womanhood. Is anyone in touch with  her?

My condolences to Robert Schropshire's family. Seems like it was his  Ur
lecture that so addressed my life when I was on the Academy staff, spring
'74. He certainly didn't fit into any stereotype.

Blessings on this community as we "gather at the river."

Jann McGuire

In a message dated 6/1/2012 8:22:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mardavscott at gmail.com writes:

Phylis  Christmas

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Nancy Lanphear  <nancy at songaia.com> wrote:
> Dear Ones,
>
> Our common  memory is such a gift.  Each of us can let go of some of our
>  worry about loosing our own.  Thanks for sharing your memories with  me.
>
> Love,
>
> Nancy
>

> On  Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM, E B <marosel2000 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Who can forget Dawn Lingo and Lynette  Shanklin?
>>
>> ________________________________

Harris, and
>> some of the  children  .... Tad and Todd Mueller, Eric Shropshire, Adam
and
>> Kaira Lingo, Emanuel Ward, Kevin Woodward   ... I am  sorry , who are the
>> others who have slipped through my memory  ...?  Thank you Joyce and
Randy

>>  Nancy
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:55 AM, R Williams  <rcwmbw at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Joyce,
>>
>> Your brief comment, in  remembering Robert Shropshire, about what it was
>> like  to be black and to have been in the O:E has me wanting to hear
more
>> about what that experience was like, and trying  to
>> recall our black Order colleagues prior to  our being dispersed around
the
>> globe, embracing cultures of  color everywhere.
>>
>> In addition to you, Carlos and  Shropshire, I remember Larry Ward, Nadine
>> Ward, Harold  Williams and Richard whose last name was, I think, Epson.
>>  Other faces are pictured in my mind's eye whose names I cannot  recall.
 Who
>> were they?
>>
>> My interest  is peaked by the fact that the white majority, in the U.S at
>>  least, is shrinking and will likely soon no longer exist, combined
with the
>> fact that there is a glimmer of indication that  cultural diversity of
all
>> kinds is coming to be not only  tolerated but embraced by more and more
>>  people.
>>
>> On behalf of the future, with an eye toward  how all people
>> may live together in peace on  this flat, increasingly diverse and
crowded
>>  planet, I would love to hear more of your reflections, as well as those
 of
>> others, on what it was like then to be black and in the  O:E and what,
with
>> 50 years of experience behind  us, we all have learned.
>>
>> A  conversation like this could be a fitting tribute to Robert,  Nadine,
>> Harold and others now departed who have impacted our  community
>> and consciousness over the  years.
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> "Listen to what  is emerging from yourself to the course of being in the
>> world; not  to be supported by it, but to bring it to reality as it
desires."
>>  -Martin Buber (adapted)

Margaret and David Scott
Flathead Valley  College