[Oe List ...] Report on Carol Fleischman --Cycles of Life legacy Retreat

George Packard george.packard1 at rcn.com
Fri Jun 29 13:38:40 PDT 2012

Dear Marilyn and Joe,

It is almost three weeks now since Carol Fleischman delivered "Cycles of
Life Legacy Retreat" here in Santa Fe. We are sorry that you could not come
as you had hoped, but here is a brief report. I am sending this to you on
dialogue believing others Who know Carol may also be interested.

We had a very engaging retreat that provided a formal setting for Carol to
beta test the construct which  she has done as living room gatherings or for
church groups before. Carol was pleased with the results. Elise and I were
very excited for ourselves for the opportunity to take stock and reassess
our lives. We were even more excited for the other participants (22 friends
and colleagues with whom we have worked). The 4-hour process-driven format
was done in one day, 9:30Am - 4:00 PM with lunch. It enabled each of us to
find and give voice to a deeper and alternative perspective of our lives
looking through the 7 year cycles rather than the usual decades or open
timeline of broader phases we have lived.

The format was crisp and tightly timed. Carol has produced a small
participant journal booklet with a beautiful artistic and contemplative
picture -- moon over reflecting water on the cover and in half tone on the
inner pages. There is one page for each 7 year cycle
(0-7-14-21-28-35-42-49-56-63-70-77-84-98 ---). The structure is to pass 4
times through the 7 year cycles, personalized ahead of time with each of our
specific dates in the  booklet, 1) for memories, 2) for doing and being
experiences, 3 ) for a summary narrative (with a partner), and 4) for a
declaration of effects and influences on the world (with same partner).  The
fifth brief exercise is to intuitively declare the incompletes to date and
the intents for the future. Some did next steps, some did affirmations. Some
did their "being plan" (vs an "action plan").

WOW!!! --- All in 4 + hours. I would say "wow" was the response of all or
most the group - an amazement and appreciation for a process and direction
which would allow going beyond the usual paradigm of youth and education,
work and career, and ultimately retirement.

Three things became very apparent. First, the governing of time and the
focus on the cycles as the point of reference allowed us to cover our whole
life rather than just the parts to which we tend to go (successes or
crisis). Second, The work with the partner is essential to get beyond our
subjective prejudice (prejudice?, subjective?, who me?) It was unbelievable
how much I had or was ready to dismiss and edit out as transitory that my
partner responded to with  amazement as we crafted our declarations. Third,
while we all would have loved a two or three day retreat, the one day and
the 4 + hours made it possible for many to participate who wouldn't have
been able to invest a longer time. If we would have done two days, my guess
is we would have had 6-7 of the 22 and maybe none.

Though many expressed the desire to go back and spend more time on
particular cycles and tease out additional themes it was clear that desire
was a good basis for a new decision to invest solitary time or to meet with
another member to engage in further work.

So, we are now planning some cluster follow-up with these participants and
probably a second staging  of the retreat itself for a date yet to be
confirmed. So let me know if you are still interested and I will send the
flyer as soon as we have it. We will have accommodations for 5-6 in
colleague housing and also access to the cheap hotels. We will be using the
recommendations of the first participants to follow up for the next retreat.
We strongly sense that it still needs to be one day, but with another 45
minutes to occasion more reflection. Carol is even designing a little
reflection booklet for in between each exercise.

You may have already heard directly from Carol, but I have to say it was an
experience of great value for Elise and I and for all our participants.

Sincerely,

George and K. Elise Packard

Bridging Futures LLC, Santa Fe

505-660-7070