[Oe List ...] My report on Rio+20

Jeanette Stanfield jstanfield at ica-associates.ca
Thu Jul 19 20:04:24 PDT 2012

Dear Herman,
Thank you very much for sharing your reflections on RIo+20.
They very helpfully illuminate the complexity of our real situation as
human beings working toward sustainable development on planet earth.

Go well,

Jeanette

On 2012-07-19, at 8:19 PM, Herman Greene wrote:

> Here’s the report I wrote on Rio+20:
>

> NOTES FROM RIO+20: WHY IT DIDN’T FAIL
> By Herman F. Greene
> I was in Rio from June 13-22 for the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) and events preceding it. The prevailing sentiment is that Rio+20 was a failure. Scott Simon of NPR described it as the biggest UN conference ever and perhaps one of its biggest duds. The New York Times quoted a representative of CARE as saying it was “nothing more than a political charade,” and a representative of Greenpeace as declaring it “a failure of epic proportions.” When the official outcome document from Rio+20, titled “The Future We Want,” is not rejected outright, tepid assessments are generally given such as “it partially salvaged prior commitments, but offered little new.”
>
> Evaluating Rio+20 as a failure has consequences. For some, the “failure” of Rio+20 underscores the weakness or the UN processes as a whole. Because blame for the alleged failure has largely been placed on “governments,” the faith of some in the ability of governmental and intergovernmental organizations to address major problems has fallen. In the United States, where the event was seldom reported, summary reports of failure may lead some to say, “I didn’t know about it and it wasn’t important anyway.”
>
> My view of the conference is, however, different. I had to educate myself to understand the UN sustainable development process, of which Rio+20 is only the latest chapter in a 40-year long and continuing history. I began to engage directly in this process in October 2011 in order to promote formation of an International Ethics Panel on Ecological Civilization (IEPEC), a panel first proposed by Professor Ryoichi Yamamoto at a September 2011 conference in Tokyo. Returning from that conference, I learned Rio+20 was the place to take this idea as many NGOs and some governments were emphasizing the need for new ethical structures in UN governance in connection with one of Rio+20’s two major themes, “Institutional Framework for Sustainable Development.”

> [...]

Jeanette Stanfield
jstanfield at ica-associates.ca

The Courage to Lead  ebook
paperback
bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000549321/the-courage-to-lead.aspx

 http://alturl.com/y67hu

www.icacan.org