[Oe List ...] OE Digest, Vol 4, Issue 23

Richard and Maria richardandmaria at unfoldingfutures.net
Tue Jul 24 02:21:52 PDT 2012

Hi

Could someone put Common Worship in the Life of the Church on the
Wedgeblade website?  It's a great document.

As I have gone on through the years, I have reflected more on the
confession aspect.

In the light of the way the Gospel and letters of Paul describe the
people of faith, our present "unworthiness" is not emphasised, but the
greatness of what we have received, which was not earned. We are a "new
Creation", made "friends with God" (See 2 Corinthians 5:16ff for
example). To me the confession is more about the shock of discovering
my/our having forgotten this wonderful gift over and over.  The
thanksgiving is in rediscovering it, having it reaffirmed and sensing
the power within and among us to live it out.

I recognise that for some in our community what I have just written
might be controversial, and for others illuminating, and I welcome all

Best wishes

Richard

You are right: there are four parts of worship:
Thanksgiving, Confession,Praise and Dedication or commitment.
We never began worship without direct acknowledgement of who we pray,
then confession of our unworthiness for all we have received, which
leads us to remember not only the goodness of our own lives but the
amazing creative love of God, which in turn calls for our dedication or
commitment.

--
Transforming organisations and individuals towards a future worth living now
Tel: 02 9896 3839, Fax: 02 9896 3904