[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] “How do we assist in accelerating sustainability in every community around where we live?”

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Sun Jul 8 14:32:18 PDT 2012

Thanks, Karen--very helpful.
Ellie

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Snyder <karen.snyder10 at gmail.com>
To: Colleague Dialogue <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net>
Sent: Sun, Jul 8, 2012 4:27 pm
Subject: [Dialogue] “How do we assist in accelerating sustainability in every community around where we live?”

Whatif the question of our time is “How do weassist in accelerating sustainability in every community around where we live?”  Here is a summary of the journey ofworking with colleagues in Chicago to answer this question – colleagues new andold, colleagues in non-profit organizations, public agenices and for-profitcompanies, colleagues young and old. Participating in the journey to date, the following comes to mind.
Inthis century at the ICA office in Chicago, sustainability has surfaced asimportant for the future direction of ICA services.  Intriguing stories surfaced about global movements wherepeople have been engaged for five to forty years in rethinking community to include the earth and all itsresources, plants, animals and mineral life (e.g., Transition Movement, GlobalVillage Movement, Natural Step).  Aswe considered creating yet another demonstration of community in Uptown, simultaneouslywe asked ourselves what would it take to create demonstrations in everycommunity of Chicago, applying to Transition US to be recognized as Transition Chicago(listed as #83 of 119 official Transition US initiatives – seehttp://transitionus.org).
Thestory evolved as we began talking with people across the city, asking them toidentify sustainable initiatives that they are a part of or know about.  It quickly became clear that aremarkable revolution of change and empowerment is happening, often unrecognizedwithin the community or even the people actually engaged in the initiative andbelow the media radar.  We foundthat instead of doing another demonstration, what was needed was to ‘listen andlearn’ what is going on, assist in highlighting success that is alreadypresent, and then discern roles needed to help in acceleration. It could be said that all Chicago communities are already in transition towards a new future.
Theyear-long Identifying Phase of ‘listening and learning’ began last summer asstudent interns from Oklahoma City University documented two communities.  In the fall a professor at DePaulUniversity involved his two classes (55 students) in researching sustainableinitiatives in fifteen communities. By January five other Chicago universities had 150 students researching 38communities.  This summer fortystudents from six Chicago universities, three community colleges, and eightnational universities have spent the last seven weeks collecting informationfrom the remaining 22 Chicago communities.
Tomorrowis the launch of the Connection Phase, an exciting time of inviting community peopleengaged in sustainable initiatives to participate in accelerationthrough highlighting their achievements, sharing, networking and participatingin the September 15th Sharing Approaches that Work event in Chicago.  After the Share Fair, the Engaging Phase will focus on the question of acceleration.
Whathave we learned? 500 sustainableinitiatives were identified by June 1st with yet another500 since identified or yet undiscovered.  Community gardens are cropping upeverywhere.  New LEED certifiedbuildings (police, fire stations, schools, homes) have been built – orretrofitted.  Businesses arechanging their practices to be more energy efficient, more resourceful.  Restaurants are being recognized forbeing ‘green’ as they provide healthier food choices.  Schools are creating curriculums thatteach children – who teach their parents – about sustainability. Youth grow andsell food they raise, create and lead workshops in eating healthy.   Incredible blessings for thefuture are hidden like gems for those who have the eyes to see, the ears tohear, the questions to ask, and the answers remembered!
Theyouth through elders engaged in identifying and connecting initiatives  work out of the ICA buildingwhere people are dreaming about what it will look for the building to be off the grid by2020.  In the past colleagues addedenergy efficient windows, a ‘green’ bricked parking lot, and transformed theLumumba Room into a green space.  In 2012 six wind turbines are being added to the roof, sensor lightinghas been added throughout the building, the second story roof has beenresurfaced to be ‘green’, a new kitchen creates community spirit, and food is being grown in the kitchengreenhouse and conference room window. The building serves as one of the Uptown community's sustainable initiatives.
PersonallyI am joy-filled as I participate in this work.  While on a learning curve, I am in the midst of unlearningmuch of the past. As a facilitator, I am learning to use less paper and fewer procedures while being challenged to use more visuals and tell motivating stories.  I am impatient with my personal slowchange in habits to make a smaller earth footprint (e.g., when asked at thegrocery store, “Do you want paper or plastic?” I again agonize knowing I wantneither – but the bags I brought for bagging are in the car!)  The student interns visiting communities when it is 100 degrees are aninspiration in their intelligence and commitment to this work.  There is a sense of being surrounded byThose Who Care.
Thisis all to say that I perceive that just as important as raising the ‘right’ question(s)for our time is to reveal where the question is already abundantly beinganswered - as well as tell how we are participating in creative and significantresponses to it.  Some researchers saythat the best way to change hearts and change behavior is to point to what ispossible!
Peace,
Karen