[Oe List ...] WHAT IS THE RIGHT QUESTION THESE DAYS?

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 10:33:06 PDT 2012

WHAT IS THE RIGHT QUESTION THESE DAYS?

Over coffee, this morning, i recopied the emails from this thread and tried to narrow down to just the questions that were posed.

I think i missed an email that Lee Early was responding to in his message.

A couple of reflections:

Randy, in yours, i was struggling with the phrase "in peace", wondering, a bit like the word "church" or "religious" what that might point to that would seem true to life vs. sort of an ideal future.

Wayne, your response that there may not be "a" question, but many and we each have to figure out our own for ourselves got me to reflecting on the evident complicatedness of things in a systemic or interconnected world.  My auto mechanic was explaining to me how to simply fix the health care system in the US, and your comment came up for me, and i said that is a good idea, but i think we are looking too often for simple silver bullet solutions when thngs are actually much more complicated.  And that made sense to both of us and moved the conversation on.

Jim Baumbach's question put me back on my heels . "How do I get you to change your mind and do what I think is right?"  then, when in linking it with Bill Parker's notion that none of this is new, and why haven't we all woken up? Got me thinking, at least on the liberal or progressive side, whether the new religion arising is the religion of human rights . . . Progressives, at least, seem to hold these as sacred and as a moral obligation to be enforced.

I could go on, but my eggs are getting cold, and the slice of cantelope from Judy's garden is calling.

THE GIST AS I SEE IT
Mary Hampton:  Enough, all ready, its too good to miss and I am not ready to edit.  Good stuff, folks!

Ken Gilgren:  why am I here? What am I doing? How am I being?  What quickens the current action of my soul?
what was the question again?

Wayne Nelson:  What are the pivotal moral issues of our moment?  I think there are likely to be several. Of course there are many, many but there are probably some major ones.  To reduce it to a single one makes it too abstract and denies the obvious complexity.  We all have to name 'the moral issue of our time.'  There's not likely to be one for everyone. It's a job we all have to do.

Bill Parker:  What are the warning signs of the destruction and endangerment of the entire human community?   Then ask, what is the underlying question to be addressed and how it can be addressed.  Why are people not being awakened to the clear, obvious truth of our crisis? Secondly, what methods must we develop or employ to radically reveal this all encompassing truth?

John Cock:  My take: If it does not have something like "on behalf of a transformed Earth community" in the statement,  it is the WRONG right question, moral issue, or vocation.

Lee Early:   "Who is Tiger Woods?", What is his mission?  Can we re-answer the second question?  Mission, social pioneer, church, college, league, crimson line and movement?  The answer to the question of mission will carry the first of who.  (At least here in the West.)  Sometimes the question of mission changes.  Sometimes by chance and sometimes on purpose.  What is our mission TODAY?

Randy Williams:  In reflecting on the dialogue around what is "the question," I realized we really were assuming two questions.  How may "we"  (all species) live together on this planet in peace, in a way that secures life for future generations?  What is the new face, form and mission of the "movement" (the religious, the invisible college, the church with a little"c," ) and what stories, style and symbols will sustain it?

Jan Sanders:  What are the key images of the future of evolution?

Steve Harrington:  You had to say it, eh?  What does it look like to be the Sensitive & Responsive. To what concerns? where?

Karen Bueno: "How do we motivate the sensitive and reponsive ones who understand that the survival of the people of the earth and the earth itself depends on our working together to make that survival possible?"  I like the idea of striving for a T-shirt phrase, like "Be one of those who dare to live the future now.", as someone suggested.

David Walters:  in the midst of a malaise of helplessness and an established / controlling economic and political elite, what can we do to support and help to form the emerging groups and movements (both the Tea Party and the Occupy movement) to be both effective and inclusive?

Jack Gilles:  Given the stance that "History rides on the back of the religious" that we embodied and lived..... "Who are the 'religious' today, where would you look to find them, what are the marks that tell you so, and what might we share (and how) with them so that they are empowered and connected?".  The "we" in the question should refer to "those of us who are scattered" and who will take seriously the answers.

Janice Ulangca:  In this 50th year of EI/ICA, some of the questions to live with:  Considering what we were/are/might be, what is our calling?  What are we called to know/do/be?  What are some of the important partnerships the future needs?

Missed the name:  What was Neibhur's line? (and how do you spell his name?)  Something about the sensitive and something ones.

Nancy Lanphear:   What is " MY GREAT WORK (IS) WHERE MY OWN GREAT JOY INTERSECTS WITH EARTH'S GREAT NEED" ....perhaps EARTH could be stretched to all my relations, the universe, life ....

Jan and Steve:  Considering what we were/are/might be, what is our calling?  What are we called to know/do/be?
Jan:  What are some of the important partnerships the future needs?

Jim Baumbach:  "How do I get you to change your mind and do what I think is right?"

Karen Bueno:  "How are we to live together and preserve this planet for the future?"

Jim Wiegel
Jfwiegel at yahoo.com

“One cannot live in the afternoon of life according to the program of life’s morning; for what was great in the morning will be of little importance in the evening, and what in the morning was true will at evening have become a lie.” – Carl Jung

Partners in Participation Upcoming public course opportunities:
ToP Facilitation Methods, Sept 11-12, 2012
ToP Strategic Planning, Oct 9-10, 2012
The AZ Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday- Sept 7, 2012
Facilitation Mastery : Our Mastering the Technology of Participation program is available in Phoenix in 2012-3. Program begins on Nov 14-16, 2012
See short video http://partnersinparticipation.com/?page_id=55 and website for further details.