[Oe List ...] more on guns

Joyce Sloan jsloan45 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 09:59:16 PST 2012

Thank you Gordon! Your message really gets at the complexity of the issue of guns in our society and the resulting complexity in any solution.

In terms of the jolt the Sandy Hook situation has caused, I hope we don't loose site of the equally complex issue of how we respond to and care for mentally and emotionally disabled citizens in our society. I think within that issue are some deep cultural rumblings as well. There is a reality in this issue that is very uncomfortable for us to face. Perhaps our sense of normalcy, certain capabilities, and myriad behaviors many in society tend to characterize as amusing  are involved. I think we've made some progress in terms of physical disabilities. But mental and emotional disabilities remain the kind of issues we would just as well keep hidden; much as we hid the people who suffered with them in locked rooms in the past.