[Oe List ...] Start the conversation

Sherwood Shankland sherwoodshankland at comcast.net
Sat Dec 15 10:05:26 PST 2012

Yes, this is a matter of deep image change, pressing our root assumptions as
we work on social and legal issues. The Wild West Cowboy imagery is strong
here in Colorado. Amazing how short a time (30 years or so) that cattle were
actually driven across the prairies. Guns to protect the cattle against
animals and thieves.all very practical. But then wild west shows followed by
western films immortalized the six gun, the gun-slingers, and quick-draw
heroes on main street. So myth, legend and toy guns have vastly expanded the
story way bigger than the actual history. Undoing our admiration for Davy
Crocket, Gene Autry, and Clint Eastwood iconic persona is no small task.
(And add you own sources of our beloved heroic killers - military, the mob,
etc.) We even give Oscars to the murderers in the Godfather and fondly
"remember the Alamo".

We also have the not-so-far-fetched worry about foreign terrorism (post
9-11) and the practice of keep a gun in the home to defend our families
against possible intruders. (I have several relatives in this group.)

So where are the crucial points of dialogue that will change images in the
hearts and minds of me, my relatives, my congregation, my community.so that
new values drive our votes in elections and new leaders can change our laws?
/ Sherwood