[Oe List ...] The death of Rev. Zan White

Susan Fertig susan at gmdtech.com
Mon Aug 13 14:11:25 PDT 2012

Fascinating.  One of the frustrations I felt at the main UN Women's
conference in Beijing was the large numbers of Arabic and predominantly
Muslim African nations whose delegations were headed by men, who probably
coerced all the votes of their female delegations. Every morning those male
heads of delegations would go through the area where there were tables where
organizations could put their literature, and they would scoop up and throw
away the literature on women's rights that they didn't approve of.  I was
appalled and yet no one stopped them even when officials were notified. I
know we'd hoped to see a resolution denouncing female genital mutilation at
that conference, but the voting delegates couldn't get it passed.  The main
resolution that did succeed was one demanding inheritance rights for women.

Susan