[Dialogue] Rite of Passage 1974

Dharmalingam Vinasithamby dvinasithamby at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 16:09:47 PDT 2024

 That is awesome! Would love to hear their stories as well.
    On Sunday, 7 July 2024 at 07:01:08 am GMT+8, Jo Nelson via Dialogue <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

 I just realized this week that exactly 50 years ago, Wayne and I were leading the Rite of Passage Journey with 35 6th graders from staff families, 5th City colleagues, and guardian families.

We spent most of the trip camping in the North Woods of Minnesota. Steve Harrington and his wife were also with us. Being organized in teams was really important to have success with such a large group.

Among other activities, we led the kids on a week-long backpacking trip, where they carried all their gear, and we finished the whole journey with what I think was the first overnight solitary vigil for kids on those trips. There was also an awesome night with incredible northern lights that lasted for hours. (We didn’t make that cosmic event happen! But we did shift plans so that everyone stayed up together in awe most of the night in a meadow.)

Those “kids” are now about 62 years old!

I’d love to hear stories of anyone who experienced it and is still around.

Take care,
Jo

>From the mobile desk of
Jo Nelson