[Dialogue] refugees

John Ballard ballardica at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:15:52 PDT 2022

We can add our voices to the resettlement project of Afghans evacuees.  So far our church and others in our community have gathered enough for four families.  So far we have resettled 21 people in three homes.  The Afghan families in our area seem to be large.  Chris, our son, helped with his church’s resettlement of a family in December.  It is a lot of hard work but such a pleasant reward to see a home set up for a family had has lived on a military base for months and then for months in hotels after fleeing their homes.  We are the ones who receive the blessing.  We women have joked that it is a bit like having a baby.  So much struggle, pain and work at the birthing that you say, “never again will I have a baby”.  Then a couple days later you look at your newborn and see the miracle of a precious life and you forget the pain.  We plan to resettle at least one more family.  So many, many people have been generous in giving of goods and money to help these displaced folks.

In the Baltimore area, we understand that about 500 people have been resettled so far but more than a thousand are still waiting to be resettled.

Love to all,

Louise and Jack