[Dialogue] The Completed Life of John Telford

Wendell Refior wendellrefior at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 16:41:47 PDT 2022

Colleagues -
    I too celebrate the life of John Telford.  It was a great honor and
pleasure to live and work with John and Elaine Telford in the Adelaide
House.  John (and Elaine) were so solid, so grounded, and so courageous
that I was often awe struck by their presence and personal power.  It
seemed they could carry a great many people on their shoulders.
    I trust their good works will reverberate across time and space beyond
my comprehension.
    Grace and Peace, Dear John and dear Elaine.
Wendell

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 7:15 PM Jo Nelson via Dialogue <
dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> John and Elaine carefully set up the transition when we replaced them in
> Murrin Bridge in 1981. They had done an extraordinary job catalyzing
> self-reliance in Murrin Bridge and had thought through all the roles we
> would need to play. In about 10 days they gave us a thorough history of all
> of ICA’s work with Aboriginal people, successes and hard learnings, and
> introduced us as good people to both Murrin Bridge people and the white
> Australian community. Ever since I have felt that they were the salt of the
> earth. Their passion for Aboriginal peoples’ wisdom and inclusion never
> wavered. When they visited us in Toronto in 2017, they brought me a rare
> book about Ngiyampaa people recovering their heritage.
>
> John, along with Elaine, was a true social pioneer that catalyzed lasting
> change.
>
> I celebrate his life with deep gratitude.
>
> From the mobile desk of
> Jo Nelson
>

> On Jul 22, 2022, at 6:45 PM, Sarah H. Buss via Dialogue <
> dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>
> May we pause to be grateful for a life lived with such exemplary service.
> Peace and comfort,
> Sarah
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 22, 2022, at 5:11 PM, Kevin Balm via Dialogue <
> dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>

> Dear OE/ICA Colleagues
>
> I have the sad task of informing you of the passing of John Telford,
> Wednesday night Australian time. John (and Elaine) was an early member of
> OE/ICA in Australia and served in many ‘assignments’ in Australia and
> overseas since the late 60’s. Around the transition from assigned life John
> worked with CARE Australia in the middle-east and upon return to Australia,
> with Community Aid Abroad. It was around this time that I began my close
> association with John and Elaine. I had the honour of working with John
> delivering ToP facilitation training for Agriculture advisors (a role John
> played in an early part of his career) as well as working in Timor Leste in
> its post-independence years.  John and Elaine were integral members of
> Australia’s reconciliation movement serving on state and national task
> groups as well as helping develop some pioneering support materials. John
> remained an active member of the ICA, especially here in Australia
> throughout his time. For me, John most represented the power of
> followership in a world that overly glorifies leadership. He supported,
> drove and nudged into being many initiatives from the side lines.
>

> Our deepest sympathies to Elaine and Michelle, Kathy and Amanda and their
> families at this time.
>

> Kevin Balm

Sincerely yours.
"We must be lovers." "..the sentiment of love. This is the one remedy for
all ills, the panacea of nature." - Emerson in lecture, "Man, The Reformer"
(1841)
Wendell