[Dialogue] Stoicism

Jim wtw0bl at new.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 20:46:56 PST 2022

Maybe stoicism is another form of facing reality in which we stop
pretending all is well and going to get better some day.  I have been
following many scientists and philosophers as they try to account for
global warming, massive pollution of our precious water and degradation
of our living space and the pending energy crisis.  Some think we are
only in a natural cycle of Earth's processes, Some think we still have
time to pull ourselves out the situation if we only rely on the human
way of solving such situations especially through innovation and our
desire to succeed, and some see an end to everything that our species
will be.

 From my own perspective that has been instructed by a very special
person, William Catton, who authored the book _Overshoot_, I understand
that humans have been able to create living space that has far exceeded
the Earth's carrying capacity.  Fossil fuels have allowed us to over
populate the Earth by at least 5 billion more beings than can be
sustained in the future.  Fossil fuels have also allowed us to use up
most of its resources including arable land and potable water.  As a
species, we use an estimated 10 planets the size of Earth which is
totally unsustainable.  Many scientists believe we have gone beyond
several tipping points especially concerning climate.  The atmosphere is
gaining massive gigatons of carbon dioxide and many other green house
gasses each year and that what we have put up there will last for
several centuries.  The future temperature will definitely exceed CoP-26
projected 1.5 degrees C and by the end of this century may be 3 or more
degrees higher.

As we deplete our enormous energy supply that has made our current life
of comfort and free time possible, life will become very difficult and
unpleasant for those of us who are accustomed to the great American
Dream.  Our children and grandchildren will certainly experience life's
resources comparable to what was only available hundreds of years ago
and a climate of droughts and floods and unbelievable strong weather
patterns.

Here is where I probably show my stoicism.  I have a thought that has
allowed me to say yes to what is occurring.  I believe that one role
sentient beings have in this world is to replenish our biosphere with
millennia of lost carbon dioxide.  Carbon dioxide which was plentiful
millions of years ago and allowed great life forms to populate this
planet.  Humans may go extinct but life will still flourish in our
wake.  Thus, we give back to our planet that, which if lost completely,
would cause all life to perish on a frozen world

Didn't we also have a saying: "Always going through it, never going under"

Jim Baumbach