[Dialogue] 923/2021, Progressing Spirit, Skylar Wilson,: Water~Spirit~Activism; Spong revisited

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 05:55:23 PDT 2021

|  View this email in your browser  |

|      |

Water~Spirit~Activism

|      |

|  Essay by Skylar Wilson
September 23, 2021
Water is life. Without it, the vast majority (if not all) of life on Earth would not exist. The story of water begins with the birth of the Cosmos, when Hydrogen gas was created. A little later (about two hundred and fifty million years), the pregnant bellies of mother stars grew Helium from Hydrogen while creating Oxygen and Carbon. These new elemental babies were then released out into the universe as their creators exhaled their final breaths.

The first water molecules formed in space about 4.5 billion years later when Hydrogen and Oxygen found each other, around the same time that Earth came into form, barren and lifeless at first, until water found its way home in its constituent elements on meteors. And then came life. Water is therefore aptly associated with birth, fertility, and renewal; it is a way back to our Source. It is our Origin Story. It is the voice of Spirit and a map by which to orient ourselves here and now from the most ancient star ancestors to the creeks gurgling down the mountains behind my home.

In part, I am reflecting on renewal both because as I am writing this it is the beginning of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) and because of all of the devastating floods and hurricanes that have wreaked havoc on so many places around the world over the past month. Water can obviously be as destructive and deadly as it is life giving.

Earth is 71% water. When we humans are born, we are made of approximately this same percentage. We are made in Earth’s image; created within Earth’s watery imagination. Born into life through a series of cosmic processes of explosive passion and grace.

As we age however, the amount of water within our bodies decreases, eventually dropping to as low as 39% (1). As fat grows in our bodies, water decreases and we often can become less connected to our cosmic source.  As many of us continue to dry out and become distracted and overworked, our superficial identities and roles solidify. It is so easy to forget our watery beginnings and therefore lose touch with the cosmic and earthly powers that flow through us.

As one of the four elements essential to our understanding of life (in science as well as in all of the traditional philosophies, from east to west and north to south), water carries the most gravitas. The creation of aqueducts in ancient Greece and Rome contributed to improvements in agriculture and the emergence of the Western mind.

In the United States, the average family uses 300 gallons of water per day. Every year trillions of gallons are lost because of pipe leaks (2). It’s well documented that the Incas of Peru engineered complex and efficient water systems that allowed for their empire to grow through peaceful assimilation. A new study published in Nature Sustainability shows how a 1,400 year-old method of diverting water can sustainably provide more water to Lima (approximately 40,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools worth of water per year) than the modern methods being used today (3).

As we look for ways to sustain free access to the cosmic gift of water, a relatively small group of greedy and powerful people with corporate shields are buying up water rights to control and starve entire nations. In May, 2000, Fortune magazine wrote, “Water promises to be to the 21st century what oil was to the 20th century: the precious commodity that determines the wealth of nations”(4).

This crass commodification of water tells me that we are no longer present to this precious resource in the ways that Water, and we, deserve. At the current rate of consumption, waste, pollution, and corporatization, the life that we know and love will not exist much longer.

The only way to pull back the seat of our attention toward the inner waters will be the Great Shift in consciousness. A move from materialism toward connection where we can access our feelings, our power, our emotions, our moods, intuitions and dreams in more visceral ways that can guide us toward fluid, effective and creative activism.

To facilitate this comprehensive shift in consciousness, we can integrate some of the ancient healing modalities. In the Ayurvedic system of India, water is seen as cohesive, cooling, soothing, and lubricating, that can balance body, heart, mind and soul when used intentionally. Similarly, in Chinese medicine, water is the element that holds and cleanses one’s vital essence. In the body, this process occurs primarily through the kidneys as they maintain the balance of water while filtering out waste and toxins. They therefore have a yin-like receptive quality as they produce, store, and regulate fundamental substances such as qi (vital energy), blood, and bodily fluids, and transform them. Can we humans become the kidneys of the planet and clean and restore the watersheds and wetlands that are our larger body?

In a Christian context, water plays a pivotal symbolic role. Contemplate for example this quote from the Gospel of John, “He who believes in Me...From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water (John 7:38). And: “...whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.” (John 4:14).

These concepts of “living water” and “a well of water springing up to eternal life” coming from the “innermost being,” represents an immediate connection to a living Cosmos, a living Earth, and a connected humanity.

This understanding is also apparent in the Book of Revelation: “Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life...and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations” (Revelation 22:1-2). Is this revelation something that we can use to transform how we see and participate with “the river of the water of life” to heal our connection with the water cycles, the living world and our humanity? Lao Tzu puts forth in the Tao Te Ching that water is the ultimate metaphor for this process; water is soft and flexible, and yet powerful enough to erode metal, stone, and mountain ranges. Flowing water symbolizes change, the only constant in the Universe.

Matthew Fox describes this process as “a mystical awakening” and “a global religious awakening” in his book The Coming of the Cosmic Christ: “The mystical awakening, an awakening to a living cosmology, to a Cosmic Christ alive and vital in all creatures and in all humans…This new birth will cut through all cultures and all religions and indeed will draw forth the wisdom common to all vital mystical traditions in a global religious awakening...” (5).

All of humanity and all mystical traditions rely on water as their fundamental and unifying thread. The coming of the Cosmic Christ, the Tao, Buddha Nature, and you and I are involved in a process of opening fully to water and protecting it for all humans and for our plant and animal relatives. Our relationship with water is our common touchpoint to a living cosmology. Water is  our gift from the stars. It is the catalyst for our collective awakening. Billions of humans have been baptized with water, channeling the Spirit of our cosmic origins.

What does it mean to become like water? Perhaps it has to do with holding space for cleansing,  for what we’re being asked to dissolve within ourselves and our communities. To be with the pain of loss. As we let go, we are held within water’s flow again.

This practice of becoming like water may involve wallowing in puddles, sipping water slowly with gratitude, listening to rivers, prancing through the rain at midnight, or surfing the waves of the ocean with dolphins. It could mean moving to higher ground and to moist landscapes where there’s protection from fires and floods. It could mean joining with the Order of the Sacred Earth community and its network of Earth activists (6) and holding circles and councils that foster deep listening, receptivity, trust, a space to grieve and to find connection. It could mean committing your life to the outpouring of love and service (7). It could mean calling and writing mayors and senators, or supporting the righteous efforts of the indigenous Water Protectors battling Enbridge’s Line 3 pipeline. Or better yet, finding out how your water is being managed in your local watershed. But whatever you do, let your own inner waters guide you.

Water represents the connection between an individual soul, our communities, the Tree of Life, and a collective ecological consciousness born of our Cosmic origins. It’s the Spirit of the Universe as it flows through us.

Are we learning to swim through the birth canal of this new and ancient understanding in a felt way that’s messy and terrifying, exhilarating and purifying? Are we learning to quench our soul’s most essential organizing instincts by becoming flexible and receptive, like water? Is water guiding us through a rite of passage into the deepest connections with the Universe? I think so, and it’s time to get wet!

~ Skylar Wilson

Read online here

About the Author
Skylar Wilson, MA is the founder of Wild Awakenings, a conscious community of change-makers dedicated to the thriving of Earth, life, and humanity. He has led wilderness rites of passage journeys as well as ecological restoration teams for 18 years, specializing in creating sacred wilderness immersion experiences and interfaith ceremonies. Skylar is the cofounder and co-director of the Order of the Sacred Earth, a network of mystic warriors and activists dedicated to being the best lovers and defenders of the Earth that we can be. Skylar is the coauthor of the book by the same title as well as the co-host, with Jennifer Berit, of the podcast: "Our Sacred Earth" on Unity online radio. Skylar works closely with schools and organizations including the Stepping Stones Project in Berkeley, CA over the last 8 years while guiding organization-wide retreats, mentoring youth, group leaders, parents and elders. He also produces transformational events for thousands of people around the country including the Cosmic Mass, an intercultural healing ritual that builds community through dancing and the arts.