[Dialogue] Completed Life of George Randall West

Nancy Lanphear nancylanphear at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 17:13:35 PDT 2021

Fred and I were somewhat frequent visitors to Litibu by the Sea.  I recall our first visit in 1993? When Fred was asked to come and work with the community and other advisors to design pathways and house placements????Plants may have played a part in his assignments as well.   I wonder if you can guess where we stayed in those early days?  If you guess George and DonnaMarie’s casa, you would be right.
That was even before they had a second floor.  I think the only buildings were the garage with the two units and the cottage.  Although we visited a few more times in the early days, our next foray and the many visits to follow were for Fred to design and begin the implementation of Cheryl’s memorial Garden by the Sea. George was always available to lend a hand and a bit of sage advice as he carefully watched the construction of the site.
Each of these times, being with George and DonnaMarie was a highlight in my life.  And as DonnaMarie became less able, George took on the role of loving care person.

George was all of the things each of you have mentioned,  “a man for all seasons’?  I have a personal story to share.  My favorite:  I went to their casa on a visit following DonnaMarie’s death:  George’s humor is low key; and he is such a tease that sometimes I couldn’t discern humor from seriousness.  His “dead pan “ expression was priceless as was his smile and twinkling eyes.  I remember walking into the house and he offered me a seat, the chair with its back to the kitchen, the one I usually sat in when in their casa.   George left to go to the back door and upon his return, he stepped around the corner and saw someone sitting in the chair, he stopped and gasped - did he imagine it was DonnaMarie?  I’ll never know for sure because he very quickly came back into the room for our visit. We talked of DonnaMarie and told several stories of her incredible life and her determination and love of community....  - remember her pulling herself up the stairs when she could no longer walk well? When it was time for me to leave from the visit with George, somehow we imagined this might be our last visit.  I tried to open the door but either pushed or pulled on the door incorrectly and of course, it wouldn’t open. We laughed and George suggested, “perhaps I just don’t want you to leave”!!!!  What beautiful parting words from a man who had become a good friend, teacher, and spirit guide.  Love you George!
Nancy

Sent from my iPad