[Dialogue] Reflecting on Giving Thanks, the Spirit of Gratitude

w.schlesinger at pvida.net w.schlesinger at pvida.net
Thu Nov 26 10:51:52 PST 2020

So some work here has been on going back to Greek words (not always the easiest piece) and looking at what’s underlying them originally.  A (fairly conservative) source is BlueLetter Bible.

Things like:

aphiemi – translated as ‘forgiveness’ – literally is ‘letting go, not holding on.’

Metanoia – translated as ‘repentance’ literally is ‘new mind’ (meta – new – like new form in butterfly metamorphosis and nous – mind).

Alethia – translated as ‘truth’ literally: unclouded (a as negative, lethe as cloud).

Basileia – translated as ‘kingdom’ – is more akin to ‘foundationing’ with the root of bas as in foot – footing.

Ouranos – translated as ‘heaven’ – suggests the widest, most inclusive context (as seen from high above ground as on a mountain).

Hamartia – translated as ‘sin’ – is literally ‘missing the mark’ – or ‘off the target.’  Ha is the negative, martia (where we get martial) is the target or the mark.

Aion – translated as ‘eternal’ – is actually more like ‘age’ – Age of iron, Stone age – and doesn’t have the sense of chronological time.

So ‘getting to heaven’ – getting to the widest possible context.  Eternal life: life either in the age of the foundationing of God, or the age of the foundationing of corrective fire (see Matthew’s use of it).  These are phenomenological experiences from the inside – getting one’s balloon burst?  Discovering the expanded heart of Kaz?

Of course, none of this may make any sense at all!

FWIW

Bill