[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] David Zahrt

Richard Alton richard.alton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 09:05:06 PDT 2020

David Zahrt: what I remember about David is that he was part of the Kenya
New Village Movement that reached 1,500 Villages with 350 Kenya staff in
the 80s. David and Lin were leads of Central Providence ( now called
Murang’a County) and is mainly home of the Gikuyu, the largest community in
Kenya. The Zahrt’s had a huge region to cover with the Kenyan staff. They
lived in a small village. If I remember right, David got a motor scooter to
help cover the region. But what I most remember about David is his working
with UNICEF and local women groups to introduce cement water tanks to catch
rain off of roofs. Women’s groups took up installing the tanks as an income
generation project. We eventually produced a water tank booklet to help
spread the tanks to other areas of Kenya.

David, thanks for making this happen.

Dick Alton

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM Judi White via Dialogue <
dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> Thank you Terry for this reminder pic. I had one on his ergonomic bicycle
> with Lin. Hope I can fund it to add to the memories of this precious
> inspiring colleague of yore.
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020, 8:32 AM Terry Bergdall via OE <
> oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>
>> I first met David in 1970, lived and worked with him in Nairobi during
>> the 80s, and most recently was inspired by his participation in a
>> coast-to-coast march to highlight the urgency of climate change in 2015.
>> When the marchers arrived in Chicago in September, their route went through
>> the heart of Fifth City on Jackson Boulevard as they proceeded to the
>> GreenRise Building in Uptown where the 50 or so marchers had dinner and
>> spent the night. As David rode his bike past the Iron Man statue on
>> Jackson, a group of Fifth Citizens and ICA "veterans" stopped with him to
>> take a photo (see attached). David, of course, is the man at the left with
>> a white beard. It's one of my favorite memories with David.
>>
>> Terry Bergdall

Richard H. T. Alton
One Earth Film Fest ( OEFF)
Green Community Connections
Interfaith Green Network
T: 773.344.7172
richard.alton at gmail.com
**Save the Date! One Earth Film Festival 2021, March *
http:www.oneearthfilmfestival.org

Make Plain the Vision, Habakkuh 2:2
Won't you be my neighbor?