[Dialogue] Completed Life of David Zahrt

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 08:59:22 PDT 2020

Dear Friends,
We were sad to learn of David's death, although we knew his health had been failing. When we think of David Zahrt, four initial memories come to mind.
First: We first met and worked with David and Lin in 1970 after Summer 70 when they came to Rochester to open and be priors of the religious house which ended up being a few blocks from where we lived in the Maplewood Neighborhood.  David and Lin provided excellent leadership for the congregations involved in the Local Church Experiment n which we were involved.  He was serious, single-minded, faithful, persistent and deliberate in his dedication to and carrying out  the mission of the House.  His attention was fully present with whomever he engaged in conversation and focused on what was possible.
Second:  David was a man of many gifts and talents.  Post-Order, he and Lin returned to Iowa to his Loess Hills family homestead (filled with wonderful family antiques--including a player piano) which, with blood, sweat and tears, they rejuvenated and hosted with great hospitality as a Bed and Breakfast where we stayed during a trip to Ft. Mandan.  David worked with the community on conservation efforts, and I believe (Jo or Lin correct me if this is incorrect) eventually turned part or all of this homestead into conservation land.
Third:  David's weeks' long bicycle trek with the 2015 cross country Climate March was incredible, overcoming obstacle after obstacle to meet the big demonstration in NYC and then on to Washington, DC the final destination.  He was one of the oldest, if not the oldest, trekker in the group.  We followed his daily blog and were amazed by his persistence, endurance, and determination to complete the trip, no matter what.
Fourth:  Even when his body was failing, he still kept up with list serve posts and wanted to make sure he received the Spong and later Progressive Spirituality and other articles, continuing his life-long journey of learning.
As friends and colleagues, we give thanks for and celebrate David's unique and completed life and send our prayers to Lin, Heidi, and Jo and all his family.  May his legacy of living into possibility continue through those whose life he touched.
Grace and peace ~
Carleton and Ellie Stockcarletonstock at aol.com elliestock at aol.com