[Dialogue] The Transestablishment Stance

Terry Bergdall bergdall2 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 11:08:58 PDT 2019

Good question, Carleton. These are easy days for falling into despair which
is what I often do. Beyond the “transestablishment” image. in my more
positive moments, I also totally believe that an indirect focus on culture,
rathere than direct efforts on the political or economic, still makes total
sense. So how is it to be done? That’s the rub, of course.

I personally have found inspiration in Margaret Wheatly who, I discovered,
has had her own bouts with serious despair. She said she used to think it
was a matter of enabling people to see the wisom in objective scientific
data, especially in regards to climate change. Then she realized that
people simply put on their blinders and deny it. She says such stubborn
clinging to that which is passing away means we find ourselves living in a
“sea of insanity.” Rather that beating our head against rocks trying to
convince others to correctly read the signs of our times, she suggests that
the job of awakened people (that might be my words not hers) is to create
“islands of sanity” within that dominant “sea of insanity.” This is what
give me courage to continue with my personal investment through time,
energy, talents, and financial resources, etc., in endeavors like Acclerate
77 and its heir, the Chicago Sustainability Leaders Network, and the
transformation of an old broken-down building, which marks its centennial
in 2021, into the GreenRise Learning Laboratory, i.e., a demonstration.
Local action has never been more urgently required than now.

For what it’s worth, that's the story and active engagement that keeps me
going.

Terry