[Dialogue] Celebrating the Completed Life of Fred Haman

Randy Williams randycw1938 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 13:41:22 PDT 2019

In celebration of his unique and unrepeatable life, here’s an episode Fred and I shared once upon a time:

Working out of the Brussels Nexus in 1970 something, Fred and I were assigned to go to Rome for a few days work with the Rome House. As was usual, we took the train from Brussels to Paris and went across the city to another “gare” to catch an overnight couchette to Rome, arriving in Rome at about 7:30 a.m. Many will remember that a “couchette” was a regular coach compartment during the day, but in the evening the seats were folded to create 6 stacked bunks, 3 on each side of the compartment.

We modest Americans usually took our shoes off and slept in our clothes, but many of the Europeans and others would change into night clothes before retiring. This particular evening there was an older Italian gentleman who withdrew to the lavatory, changed into his flannel pajamas, and returned to bid us all a good night.  However, on the top bunk  across from the bunks Fred and I were occupying, was an attractive young French woman who decided to undress and put on her nightie, right there in front of God and everybody. (Fred and I were among “everybody.”) I’m quite sure that both of us did our best to avert our eyes, more-or-less successfully.

We managed a night of relative rest and when we awoke the next morning, to our relief, the young woman was already dressed for the day. For whatever reason, she struck up an conversation with us, during which we learned that she lived in Rome. We never knew what prompted her to do so, but as we were pulling into the station in Rome, she extended an invitation to the two of us to come to go home with her for breakfast. I recall clearly, Fred and I did a double-take, and after a reassuring glance at each other that conveyed “no way!”, we graciously declined her invitation as we made our way off the train and  to our first appointment of the day.

I had not seen Fred in years, but I miss him just knowing he is no longer physically among us. May he rest in the peace he so well deserves.

Randy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10