[Dialogue] Song video by Eliza Gilkyson: The Great Correction

McCabe, Diann A dm14 at txstate.edu
Wed Apr 10 19:38:14 PDT 2019

We attended a small intimate concert featuring Eliza Gilkyson in March. We have seen her some 8 or so times. She is a real artist and a treasure. Her latest recording is a secular take on spirit called Secular. https://www.allmusic.com/album/secularia-mw0003180864
[https://rovimusic.rovicorp.com/image.jpg?c=FKYrxDsLsux1GX4I3beB1h_TZlp6n_cq-Emr2zx15tU=&f=3]<https://www.allmusic.com/album/secularia-mw0003180864>

Secularia - Eliza Gilkyson | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic<https://www.allmusic.com/album/secularia-mw0003180864>
Austin-based songwriter Eliza Gilkyson has charted the ever-changing aspects of the world around her -- inner and outer -- for the better part of 40 years with brutal honesty and a poet's gift for detail. The Texas Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee has stubbornly stuck to finding her own path through the minefield of American popular music without paying it too much mind.
www.allmusic.com

Here's to Jean Long. When we entered the Order after Thanksgiving in 1973, she was in the Atlanta House (through 1974). She was among the strongest women I had encountered having moved a year earlier to Atlanta with Terry from San Marcos, Texas (where we now live). Jean taught school in a "rough" school--either junior high or high school. Near the end of her time in Atlanta, she cut her hair very short and that act was the "signal event" of her year. She kept it short thereafter, as I recall.

She once gave a witness about a student who was picked on at her predominantly black school. Jean described the student as a chicken other chickens picked on. Yet, the student persisted in the midst of that harassment.

I remember one RS-1 tombstone conversation where Jean's response was, "She's all used up." And so it is.

I saw her a bit at the archives gathering in the fall of 2017. We didn't get to talk much but she seemed to be in her element.

Journey on, Jean, journey on.

Diann McCabe
San Marcos, Texas
Diann McCabe