[Dialogue] Dear Jean!

Beret Griffith beretgriffith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 10:40:13 PDT 2019

Jean Remembered....
The year Jean Long joined the ICA Global Archives team...I can't even
remember the year. It always seemed like she had been there forever.
Paul and I were very excited, along with the rest of the archive team, when
Terry announced  that Jean would be moving to Chicago. Her presence was
much anticipated and lifted our spirits.

It is wonderful to hear all of your memories of Jean. Thank you....

Jean kept the archive team on its toes. One of her MUST HAVES in the
archive space...a square table whenever possible, with decor in the center
of the table...ALWAYS a colorful cloth, something growing, even a small
piece of growing "greenness" in a tiny vase, a piece of international decor
and a candle. And.. she was particular about processes in the archive..."be
sure you put an orange paper in the files whenever you take a file out of a
drawer." She took great delight in throwing out unnecessary files that seem
to continually accumulate in the archive space. She did not operate easily
in the electronic universe and readily gave "us" notice that she was NOT
going to dive in to learning how to do everything in cyberspace. She did
like email and the archive team "hangovers" as she called the Archives
Advisory Council (AAC) weekly on-line meetings. She had strong opinions on
most everything...and the team listened. She was the anchor of the archive
sojourns, welcoming everyone who could spend time working in the archives
with open arms. She handled all the logistics, meal arrangements with
Alice, orchestrated housing for everyone and was always up early to put on
the coffee. She sat in the same chair, in the same spot during pre-sojourn
preparation meetings where she oversaw those who came in early as we
created a long list of "to-dos" to keep us out of trouble the weekend
before the sojourn.

Two tasks she took upon herself to make sure they got done:
1. Guiding a team of herself, Marge Philbrook and Sally Fenton to make sure
every page of every publication was scanned, then instructed Wendell to put
it all on line. Take a look:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15rvwId-UEezAAFU_-wGavYSECcrMotoySJb8ZdemTow/edit

2. Building the ICA Book Collection - if you have written a book, you no
doubt got a request from Jean to "send in your book." Well...

Every year, since I can remember, Paul and I would keep in touch with Jean
as we drove to Chicago. Each time we arrived we would unload "stuff" as
quickly as possible and call Jean to meet in the lobby and go to dinner
around the corner at DIB. The last few years Frank Knutson joined us and
the four of us would laugh, gossip and talk about the current sojourn...

Journey on...all of us
Beret & Paul