[Dialogue] from Cynthia Vance

mirjah at aol.com mirjah at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 12:19:21 PDT 2018

Dear Cynthia,

I hope this messagefinds you well after saying farewell to your beloved Bob and our cherishedcolleague and friend. Sam and I have been reflecting on the unexpected news ofhis passing; reading the touching remembrances from across the world; andreflecting with deep gratitude for the Bob's life and the privilege of knowinghim. With apologies for the delay we send you greetings of support, heartfeltcondolences and very warm hugs.

Birthing theInternational Association of Facilitators was the most unforgettablepartnership venture with you and Bob. He was an instrumental leader in thehandful of years leading up to the official formation of the association. Itwas a gigantic team effort with Bob playing a unique role as a steady andeffective spokesperson for the underlying intents of the organization. AfterJim Troxel called interested ICA colleagues to Dallas to explore the idea ofpromoting the role of facilitation, Bob served as articulator-in-chief for theemerging consensus with his compelling logic and personable messaging: The organizedentity would not be an ICA alumni group but a resource for practitioners fromall backgrounds and walks of life that believed in the values of participatoryengagement and adhered to a related code of ethics.  As the first Chair,he led the board (then called the ACT, the Association Coordinating Team) incollaboratively launching a dynamic, self-sustaining professional networkworldwide.

Bob was also an exemplaras a Renaissance Man in league with a Renaissance Woman. Thankyou for inspiring us with your diverse interests, infectious joy,priceless humor, enduring activism on behalf of the planet and appreciation forthe arts and the natural world.

Cynthia, may showers ofblessings propel and support you in the days, months and years ahead. We lookforward to connecting virtually and perhaps even in person too!

Take care,

Mirja andSam

       Task Force Meeting - Chicago 1999

      Minneapolis Meeting at Wilder Forest